[C++ SDK] Custom grip shapes

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #1

Hi,

I’m quite new to the C++ SDK, but coming from RhinoCommon it feels familiar, only with way more possibilities. What I currently have implemented is custom grips for a surface object. I can select them, drag them, and after dragging the geometry is updated. In the
CRhinoGripObjects::Draw routine I can override and draw additional stuff in the scene. Also, I can selectively show or not show certain grips. This works very nicely and goes a long way towards what I’d like to achieve.

The grips themselves, however, are the default square shapes, as seen everywhere in Rhino. I am wondering if it would be possible to draw my own shape. For example a circle, a diamond or some other grip shape.

If that is possible, please let me know which functions to override on either my derived CRhinoGripObjects or CRhinoGripObject class.

Thanks!

Could these things be resources, i.e. cursors or icons? (Just posing a possibility while you’re waiting for an authoritative answer.)

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #3

I don’t know if they can be resources or that I can draw them my self somehow using draw instructions.

Poor choice of wording on my part. I was suggesting that maybe they ARE cursors or icons in Rhino code and might be accessible as such.

(Steve Baer) #5

They are definitely not cursors or other types of resources and are drawn with our standard display code. I haven’t figured out if there is a way to customize this look yet.

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #6

There is a test command that makes the shapes circular (“testToggleRoundPoint” or something along that line). That seems to suggest it is possible?

(Steve Baer) #7

Not really. TestToggleRoundPoints just turns on AA for points in OpenGL. Typical OpenGL drivers make points round when AA is enabled for them.

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #8

Ah, I had no idea that was what it did.