Bug dimentions

Until such time, how do I turn history off?

I’m working on a typical job which has 12 sections through kitchen cabinets. The geometry is similar but not identical (some cabinets w/ drawers, some w/ doors, etc.). So my standard practice is to create one section complete with dimensions and annotations and then copy it 12 times, revising only those elements that are unique.

Currently I don’t actually work in V6 because of the sort of issues shown in the attached jpg. I never quite know what has history and what doesn’t, or what controls history. Moving the 3 rectangles vertically doesn’t produce a problem but moving it laterally leaves behind one dimension - but only for the original group, not for the group copied upwards.

This is a simple group of 3 rectangles for demonstration only. One of my actual sections might have 10 - 20 dimensions plus an equal number of annotations so chasing down all the wonky issues isn’t realistic.

My vote would be for history to be off by default.

Hi Alex - SelDim and HistoryPurge would be one sort of heavy handed way - obviously if you need some historic dimensions, then you’ll need to be more selective than that…

-Pascal

Or uncheck Update Children in the history menu if you don’t want any history updates.

I wouldn’t use this function but I’m curious as to it’s purpose. Is it an attempt to replicate ‘associative’ dimensions in AutoCAD?

My 2 cents on that: if you want to use layouts and separate dimensions from models - i.e. place dimensions on the layout in paper space whereas the model is in model space - you will need something like that. If you zoom or pan in a detail and the dimensions in paper space don’t follow behind, you’ll be redoing dimensions over and over again.

Never understood people who dimension in paperspace.

2 Likes

Me neither ; )

That was always my preferred technique when I did a lot of drafting work (a long long time ago).

It keeps the model clean, and dims intended for one detail (say the plan) don’t infect another (say a F.S.D.). I think the real question is how on earth do you dimension in model space :wink:

1 Like

Generally the format of my decks is as follows:

1. Title page
  2. Rendered images of the project out of Thea or V-Ray
  3. 3D line drawings for general notes comments, etc. created in Make2D (no dimensions)
  4. 2D orthographic drawings (plan, elevation, sections, details, etc.) for detailed dimensions and annotations created in Make2D

There is a constant shifting around and re-positioning of elements in order to arrive at an optimum page layout so dimensions that are attached to something other than the geometry would drive me crazy.

@wim - I’ve made some changes so that snapping to previously placed dimensions won’t break the whole operation. For this week’s WIP, snapping to linear dimensions is fixed, and the rest didn’t quite make it in until next time.

if I move the dimention end point back to the place I get a broken history popup and then it works as expected when moving

Hi Camelworks - I’m not sure what your whole workflow is here - are you saying you can fix the previous cases, from your orgiinal post, by snapping the points again? If you start from scratch with all new dimensions, does everything work as expected now?

-Pascal

That seems to be working fine, thanks!
Semantics maybe, but when I have a rectangle with two dimensions and I move that rectangle, the command line echoes:

History updated 3 objects.

Shouldn’t that say “2 objects”?

dim test.3dm (65.7 KB)

Hi Pascal . started from scratch. seems to work but now the dim aligned doesn’t work most of the time
Thanks

Hi Camelworks - everything in the file you posted seems to update correctly here if I move the shape around - is that what you see?

-Pascal

Yes. Now it works. Tried it again and seems fine with this build

6.0.17143.8371, 23/05/2017

Hi @lowell,

A follow up on this one…
The attached file was made in the latest public Beta. Is ‘next time’ still in the future or should I expect this to work now?

As a recap of the background:
The dimensions on the rectangle on the left were made by just snapping to whatever snap comes up - the dimensions on the rectangle on the right were made by making very sure that snaps went to the end points of the rectangle. When moving or rotating both rectangles, the dimensions on the right follow as they should but that doesn’t happen on the left. Not even for linear dimensions.
2017-11-17 Dim snapping.3dm (65.4 KB)

@Wim - It looks like on the left, the vertical and nearly vertical dimensions have one point each connected to the rectangle with history, and the other two don’t have any history connection.

When I move the dimensions one at a time, only two of them issue history break warnings.

Snapping one dimension to another dimension seems to work right here.

@lowell, thanks for looking into this one!

I tried to reproduce the left example but was unable to. The dimensions did snap in place but I don’t know how…
Oh well…