Braided tube

下載

does anyone know how to create braided tube in rhinoceros? thanks!

What is the end result you need it for? Rendering? Fabrication accurate model? There are quite a few ways to tackle it. Do you just need a straight section of it or should it flow along a path or curve?

I was going to build a straight one and then bend it to a curvy one, the end result will rendering. I initially thought I could combine two helix sets to make this, but I was wrong…Do you mind sharing you ways of building it? thanks!

It certainly can be built in GH but for rendering I would create a material with an opacity mask that is the ‘X’ pattern and UVW map it onto your cable/tubes. If you want to get technical with it you could give the tube thickness and offset the outermost surface, map the X material to that and then apply a plastic translucent/glossy material to the tube geometry itself and that would give you an accurate result.

Is it possible to do it without GH? I don’t know how to use it… thanks!

Yes, in Rhino you can create a polyline that reprsents your tube “path” and use the pipe command to generate the geometry you need:

Once you have the geometry the way you want and have created the materials you need, you can use the UVW mapping in Rhino to get the textures to show up correctly.