Boolean help

Hello there,

Trying to do a boolean union of the ear and head but the head section keeps being deleted. Am I missing something? I’m trying to join these two polysurfaces into one.

Thanks!help.3dm (3.6 MB)

Hi Jaqomatic - is the attached what you’re after? The nose has its normal pointing inward - if you Boolean objects that are not closed, Rhino assumes that the normal direction is the ‘outside’ of the object - it has no other way to know - so, use the Dir command to verify and change if need be, the surface normals of the input objects so that they point to what you think of as the outside of the object. Remember Rhino has no way to tell that this is a doggy face so it thinks it’s perfectly OK for the inside of the nose to be the outside.
help (1)_PG.3dm (200.2 KB)

-Pascal

Your geometry (ear and head) don’t touch each other properly, ie there are gaps. This is preventing you from running operations.
If you untrim the ear, then trim the ear and head against each other, you can simply join. (trimming/joining are part of the boolean operation from what I understand).help3.3dm (3.0 MB)

Thank you! I didn’t realize there were gaps. I must’ve accidentally nudged it. I see what you mean now. I can simply just use the join function instead of the boolean one and I get the same result.