Boolean Difference?

Hello, I find difficulty in Boolean Difference for a solid object, it is a simple solid object but one surface is featured with edgesrf. Is it the reason why I fail to Boolean different? Thanks.
Palm_designA.3dm (1.6 MB)

Hi @andrew221

Which object(s) in the file are you trying to boolean? There are a bunch of different objects to choose from and depending on what the operands are, there could be different solutions in order to solve the problem. And there are quite a few duplicates in the file as well (use seldup to select them).

HTH, Jakob

Hi Normand,

Whole part of the two objects need to be boolean different, V6.3dm (1.3 MB)

Thx,

Andrew

The previous file is an example. thx!

I see three objects in your most recent file. None of them touches another, and none is inside of another. The command is working correctly. Which object do you want to subtract from which, and what do you expect to happen?

HI Chuck,

Most recent file is the example for what I’m going to do. The first file is the object that I want to subtracted from boolean different. Thanks.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I think you may not understand what the command is supposed to do. Can you give me a file with two solids, one red, the other blue, with the red one the first object selected in the command and the blue one the second, for which boolean difference fails.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
May I have your skype? Mine is andrewtsang@platysens.com. Thanks.

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Chuck,

Please see this file and you may know what I’m going to do. Thanks.

Thanks,
Andrewexample Palm_designA.3dm (369.7 KB)

Hi Andrew,

Your ring is not solid. Call ShowEdges, and choose the naked option, to see where it is not joined together.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I see,but how can i make them join together?

Regards,
Andrew

The group of surfaces from the band join up using the Join command after calling Ungroup. There seem to be a few extra surfaces in the other part. You will have to look at them and decide which ones you want. After that, they will probably join up with Join. @pascal please take a look.

hi @andrew221

Like @chuck says, the object is not solid, and from the surfaces in the file, is not quite apparent how it’s supposed to make a solid. Especially the inner, bottom surfaces of the “housing” is missing and there’s a little ridge around the oval that might/might not need a cap. But here’s the object as a solid. I’ve cleaned up the geometry and joined all the surfaces. After that, I’ve boolean union’ed the band and “housing” - and it should boolean difference from the block without problems.

example Palm_designA_JN.3dm (296.7 KB)

I think it might be a good idea to take a look at some tutorials and the help file - both in terms of boolean operations and perhap also general modelling in Rhino - so that you learn the basic concept of surfaces, solids, join vs group etc.

Hopefully this will get you a bit further :smile:

Regards, Jakob

Hi Normand,

it is wonderful!
After your editing I can proceed my job. However, it is possible for you help to edit one more file? See attached file Palm_design B.3dm (319.4 KB) and also, could you advise some link for how to solve the problem I’m facing?

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew,
Why are you grouping things together?

1. Ungroup all.
    For the bowl-type object, join surface by surface. There are 6 surfaces in that one that you don’t need and when you join all the others, you can simply cap the object to create a solid.

2. For the ring-type objects, do you still have the original curves or a way to recreate these? You should just use the entire closed curves (i.e. not cut where you thought you would intersect the bowl) to create the rings. When those are made, you can extract the sides of the bowl where the rings intersect and split the rings with those surfaces. Then split the bowl side surfaces with the resulting ring objects and join everything together into one closed solid.
    HTH.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response.
However, I’m just beginner and this object is not created by me. I find difficult to understand your explanation.

Regards,
Andrew

I’m not sure where to start then…

• Can you ungroup all objects? (were they group by you or by the other person?)
  • For the bowl-type object, can you join surface by surface?

Hi Andrew - if you take a section through the middle of the main set of surfaces, (Section command, see Help for details) you will see that there is no way to create a solid object as is:

It looks to me like you need to remove the lower flat surface and add a new one that closes the shape, like so:

See the difference? You can clean up by

1. Ungroup everything till there are no more groups.
  2. Delete the lower planar surface - in fact there are two there, right on top of each other- delete them both.
  3. Join the rest of the surfaces - you can window around all and use Join.
  4. Cap to close the planar hole that is left in the joined object.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I’ve tried your steps but still fail.

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew- see if this clip helps - watch the command line to see the commands used. There is no sound.

http://screencast.com/t/wfvCo20jp5D

-Pascal