Bongo 3.0 WIP 9

Bongo 3.0 WIP 9 for Rhino 7 Now Available

Hi all,

** PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS SOFTWARE **

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Work-In-Progress versions are not production ready and may hang or crash.

Bongo 2.0 users are encouraged to download and try this WIP release of the animation plug-in for Rhino 7, Bongo 3.0.

Bongo 3.0 WIP 9 is now available from https://www.rhino3d.com/download/bongo/3/wip

Animation by @Luc

New Features:

• “Active” animatable connections
  • Connection limits
  • Support for SubD morphing
  • Full changelog available here

Rhino versions supported: Beta testing Bongo 3.0 is limited to Bongo 2.0 users. Bongo 3.0 requires a Bongo 2.0 license key. Latest version of Rhino 7.0 is required to install Bongo 3.0 and can be downloaded from Rhino - Download - Rhino 7 for Windows

Notes: This is the current work-in-progress release of Bongo 3.0 for Rhino. The product is in the very early stages of development any will probably change a great deal before release. This may include the file format, so please do not rely on Bongo 3.0 models working in the future. Bongo 3.0 will read Bongo 2.0 files, but will save Bongo 3.0 data only. This data cannot be read by Bongo 2.0, so please backup any files before using them in Bongo 3.0.

6 Likes

Bongo 3 is morphing into professional plugin.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I cleaned up the Differential model to make it suitable for publication. I like clean models but - as you all probably know - in the making they easily get cluttered.
Differential.3dm

I made this model to test the strength of Physics features of Bongo 3.0… The operation is fully based on Physics interactions of the components.

The tiny red sphere (it wasn’t red yet in the video) moves over the curve by a basic 2.0 Simple Constraint (LookAlong).
A vertical Slider Connection between the tiny red sphere and the differential housing makes the entire rear axle to be drawn across the ground plane. Hence the little red sphere fulfils the role of an entire chassis with steering.

Everything else is Physics. The vertical slider connection to the tiny red sphere allows Gravity to perform its role on the axle. Friction between the tires and the ground plane makes the wheels spin around.

The interaction of gears of the differential is solely determined by the contact of the teeth of the gears. Of course, to make this successful, the gears must be modelled adequately. I found a very good basis on How to select gears | KHK Gears
Gears and housing are mutually linked by Spindle Connections along the various axis.
The model is built in unit Millimeter. Because of that the decoration of the Connections in the Viewports is rather small. It may take you some effort to spot them.

The car wheels are modeled separately and attached to the axle shafts by a Clamp Connection. This is because the wheels need Friction but the gears obviously perform better without (in reality they even need grease).

Solving time on my system (Intel Core i7) is a bit over 4 minutes. Unfortunately the progress bar seems to fail in this model.

Also notice that since the speed of the tiny red sphere is linear the turning speed of the driving rod (the pinion) and of the crown wheel should also be linear. And so it turns out!

Have fun,
Luc

PS In the “Render” Viewport the camera follows the action because the ‘Target’ is constraint to the differential housing.

2 Likes

Hi again,

In my enthusiasm about Active Connections I posted a movie of a Tricycle.
But I overlooked I was working at the time (begin August) with a preliminary version of Bongo’s WIP.

Now since the release of WIP 9 I can proudly present you the model : Tricycle.3dm.

It is an cute demonstration of the possibilities of Active Connections.

Have fun,
Luc

1 Like