BETA fails to save

Today I started working on a new file (Large Objects in mm). Worked for a while, hit “save”, gave a name to the file, clicked on “Save”, the window closed. After a while tried to save, but I got the same prompt asking to name the file, as if I hadn’t saved before. And indeed, when checked the folder I had chosen before, there was no file saved. I tried saving to a different folder, and no file still. Tried with “Save as…” and neither. Somehow after the 4th attempt did the file saved properly.

Yeah, there is still something hinky with saving. I also “saved” a file a week ago which never got saved… This is one thing that really needs to be fixed, If it makes it into the release version, there are potentially going to be a lot of angry people.

–Mitch

Thank you for letting us know. I’ve logged this bug as RH-42873.

Hi Libny Pacheco

Can you give any details that might have been specific about your situation? Was there anything special about the filename you were using? About the directory you were saving to. About the model itself.

Tim

@libny.pacheco, @Helvetosaur,

Believe it or not, saving is a complex thing in Rhino. Some other things to consider, in addition to what Tim asked:

1. Are you saving using the Save command (typed), by clicking a toolbar button, Ctrl+S, or the menu?
  2. Are you saving to a network drive?
  3. Are you changing any options in the Save dialog?
  4. Does it only happen when you start a new instance of Rhino?

We’re trying to reproduce this here, and would love your help doing the same.

Happy to see that finally this it got taken be seriously! :wink:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-v6-rhino-fr-fr-6-0-17283-09031-win-7-unable-to-save-file/48291/2

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/bug-v6-0-14350-5541-doesnt-save/15181/13

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/save-file-bug-in-latest-beta/47726/4

We made a change on October 20th that could have an impact on this, good or bad, and is very likely related. See https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-41919 It would be good to know what version those users that are having trouble are running. This may be fixed. Or, if you’re using versions since October 20th then there’s probably more to figure out in the same area.

As far as I can glean, looking at all of the threads the problem stems from using the same file name but switching extensions.

Tim

I have recently seen often the Save As dialog pop up when just hitting ctrl+s or the save button after opening a file that is on a network drive. I think it happens more often after saving a new file for the first time to a network drive.

I’ll try narrowing down more the exact steps that reliably reproduce that problem. Note that I can still save, it is just very annoying to have the dialog pop up when it is not necessary.

Hi, Tim,

Today in the morning I tried with a new file and the problem remains. I used Ctrl+S, got the pop up window, kept the name file as “Untitled”, saved in my desktop, but the problem remains: the file didnt save at all.

But, if I use the menu (File > Save), then the file will actually save!

I am using: (6.0.17332.10241, 11/28/2017) Beta.

As for the name file, yesterday I was naming my file “Västerås”, so to discard the use of Swedish characters, I called the file “Untitled” to no avail.

Your desktop looks to be on a networked drive.

1 Like
  1. Toolbar button
  2. I think in the case where it didn’t save, yes, network drive
  3. No.
  4. I usually only have one instance of the Beta open. I might have one or more V5’s open at the same time.

–Mitch

For my case I have the most updated version of Rhino6 on 2 computer, a Dell Laptop and a Wacom MobileStudio.
On both I’m using DropBox, that looks like is the problem for me, on both I have the problem.
The newer version looks like are saving more times, but I’m not modeling so much this period so I can’t really be sure.

Another issue seems related to the Enter keyboard instead of the OK button… but just a guess.

I’ll do some more try asap.
Thank

@tim
I’m having this problem again, latest Beta (11/28/2017).
Could be a more stupid question about the file Extension?!?!?

If I write a new name “on top” of the default (without typing the extension) the file isn’t saved.
If I “enable” the file by unselecting and canceling the default name and then I write the new name it works.

Seems related to the name textbox.
I’ll keep an eye on this and let you know.
Best.

Same issue. The only save I was able to perform was a SaveAs version 5. Of course opening the saved V5 file in V6 hoses my dim styles, etc. Frustrating.

Hi All,

When Rhino saves, either successfully or successfully, it will indicate so by printing to the command line.

When Rhino fails to save, what is printed to the command line. Note, you might need to press <F2> to see the output.

Also, for those who are reporting problems saving to network drives or shared folder, any information as to the network service (e.g. Windows Server, Dropbox, etc.) or details on how your shared folders are setup might be helpful to us. We’d like to be able to repeat the issues being reported here.

Thanks,

– Dale

That’d be the F2-key you’d need to press.

Yea the markdown tags got the best of me…

The link to my thread with my response of the day…

I tried F2 and this is the result :Unable to save.txt (1.1 KB)

First, you will see that i try to save two times under my Dropbox folder without succes.
Second, i save on desktop. Success
third, i re-try under dropbox folder and it works.

Thanks to Help us

Hi @TuckerTheDog,

The issue with DropBox, Goggle Drive, and other cloud storage services is that they have a background service, running on your system, which is constantly trying to sync file changes to the cloud. Inevitably, you run into a situation where you are trying to save a Rhino file that the service has locked because it is in the process of syncing.

In regards to DropBox, make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of the operating system application. For example, I’m using DropBox for Windows version 40.4.46. Not that this fixes the problem. But it may minimize the occurrence. But for the most reliable results, then save to a non-DropBox folder.

– Dale