Best way to do a vase

Hi everyone!

I started to use Rhino a week ago because i needed to change the software that i worked.
I’m still getting used to all different tools and i’m having difficulties on how to approach them.
My project is a vase and in the other software i would sweep it and then made a pattern or an arraycrv.
However, if i try it in the same way i don’t get the same result.
For example, in the first picture i need the shape of the sweep to be tanget to the green line.

when i change on edge continuity to curvature it gets tanget to that green line
but near the bottom it gets rounder in the middle.

The vase has specific dimensions that i need to use. I was thinking what is the best way to do it and if it is better to model it in grasshopper since i need to follow those dimensions.
Thanks !

Hi @Filipe
With only pictures it is hard to give advise. Please upload your Rhino file

Here it is.
Project_1.3dm (94.3 KB)

This is not very difficult with SubD.

You’d start by creating a SubD cylinder with 24 faces around and "Tri’ Cap Face Style.

Second step is to scale half of the vertical edges.

To make the outside edges more sharp, select them and use the Bevel command in the SubD tab.

subd_vase.3dm (135.3 KB)

Hi Filpe - I think you are nearly there with the surfaces - I would set up the top curve to intersect the middle one -

Split and then Sweep2 to get the surfaces

Mirror, Match for tangency (Average) to clean up

Then ArrayPolar

is that what you are shootong for?

-Pascal

Thanks for the tips !
I need to get used to the SubD tools because i didn’t work with that kind of features.
I have another question if you can awnser: with SubD tools it’s better to start with primitive shapes like cones and cylinders, or is it better to do like i did above and then adjust the edges ?

Hi !
Yes it was this, i’ll try as soon as i can.

Unless you know how to create good topology, it’s best to use primitives and then delete faces, add edges, and so on…

Alright !
i’ll do with SubD to practice when i resolve that sweep problem. I think that it’s a great method for my type of projects.
thank you very much !