Are Rhino & Grasshopper compatible with Apple Macbook Air/Pro with the latest M1 chip?

Has anybody used Rhino and Grasshopper on the latest Apple Macbook Air/Pro with the M1 chip?

I’d like to know if there is any compatibility issue.

Thanks.

1 Like

There are a lot of compatibility issues.

Noted with thanks, @christopher.ho.

Let’s wait for Rhino 8, then, for two more years…

FYI, I just posted an update to this topic:

with some good news on the horizon.

1 Like

Very interested in upgrading my old MacBook Pro, but wondering where Rhino is with running on Mac’s new chip.

1 Like

Yes, but not native yet! It is currently still virtualized in a x86 Rosetta container (run as an “Intel” application). You can find demonstration videos on YouTube. Rhino 8 is rumoured to be running natively though.

I’d wait a little with upgrading. The current M1 products are not meant to be pro-sumer computers for more demanding work like 3D CAD or CG. New MacBook Pros with more CPU- and GPU-Cores, more memory, and a mini LED display are rumoured to be presented in September or October, but will probably be pricier than the current models.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and update on info re compatibility with Apple’s new chip. I will keep my old MacBook Pro and wait a bit longer!

This is not entirely accurate. Technically, it’s not virtualization; it’s translation. macOS’s Rosetta2 does a just-in-time translation of the Intel instruction set the first time you launch the application (that’s why the first launch of a non-Apple Silicon native app will take longer).

This is indeed a rumor. It’s still Intel. If you own Rhino 7, you can download the current Rhino Work-In-Progress (RhinoWIP) and see. That said, Rhino 7 is pretty darn snappy on an Apple Silicon Mac.

We are actively working on a Metal display pipeline in the RhinoWIP. It’s still early-days, but you can enable it with the hidden TestMetal command (Metal is a separate issue from Apple Silicon native support).

I’m really looking forward to the widely rumored upcoming Apple Silicon MacBook Pro updates…but until they are more than just a rumor, I’m pretty happy with the initial M1s as far as speed goes.

2 Likes