Current Status: April 2nd, 2021:
- Rhino 7.6 for Mac should be supported on macOS 11.3 (currently in Beta) on Apple Silicon Macs with M1 processors*.
- We plan to ship Rhino 7.6 for Mac on May 11th, 2021. (A service release candidate for 7.6 should be available on April 13th, 2021).
- We do not know when macOS 11.3 will be available as this is Apple’s decision.
*running in Rosetta2. This is not yet a fully native version (see below for the distinction).
Current Status: Nov 24, 2020:
Rhino 6, 7, and 8 for Mac are NOT SUPPORTED on Apple Silicon Macs with M1 processors.
- Rhino 6 will never be supported on Apple Silicon.
- Rhino 7 development to support Apple Silicon via Apple’s Rosetta Translation Environment
has startedis progressing well…see April 2nd update above.
- Rhino 8 development to support Apple Silicon via Universal Binary for both Intel and Apple Silicon has started.
The timing couldn’t be more fun! We’ve been busy typing on Rhino 7 and Apple has been busy with their new M1 chips. Both just shipped to rave reviews. (It’s been quite a year, hasn’t it?). We just got our first Apple Silicon M1 Macs in the mail this week and we’ve already been logging bugs.
Apple’s Rosetta Translation Environment attempts to automatically translate Intel applications to run on Apple Silicon. If this works, it is the easier path toward support for Apple Silicon for Rhino. We know it’s a stop-gap solution, and that a Universal Binary is our ultimate goal.
Rosetta doesn’t work with Rhino, yet. Many of the issues are OpenGL related, and may be OpenGL driver issues. We will file driver issues with Apple as we get more information. Problems we can fix, we will fix in Rhino 7. (see April 2nd update above)
Earlier this year, Apple sent prototype Apple Silicon hardware to developers like McNeel. We started to evaluate the scope-of-work then. Rhino has many third-party dependencies such as libraries for file import and export. Our vendors need to support Apple Silicon before we can fully support the features we rely on from them. We have not yet begun contacting our partners about supporting Apple Silicon.
All work related to Universal Binary is being done as part of Rhino 8 development.
How you can help:
If you have an Apple Silicon M1 Mac, please:
- Recognize that you are Running on Unsupported Hardware.
- Look through our list of Known Bugs: Rhino for Mac on Apple Silicon list on our bug-tracker.
- Please report bugs in Rhino for Mac forum category.
Thanks for your encouragement and support,
PS: I’ve closed this topic intentionally. Please start new related topics and link back to this one if you think it would help.