Any plans to fix RAYTRACED mode or is it now where its gonna stay?

“… render just fine .” Did you mean to attach that comment to the uploaded pic ?

It is attached to the picture showing the Radeon Pro WX 9100 rendering. No black spots…

I had those dots/spots/pixels as well but they were white instead of black in my renderings. but they are gone with the latest renderings.

But LOTS and LOTS of “noise” .

black_dots_render

just rendered again, still have the white dots/spots/pixels. I do have a GTX1060, so I guess it is related to CUDA as @nathanletwory explained earlier. Though I have to say that I don’t mind this bug that much. There is other stuff that needs to be addressed more urgently.

Yes, of course there is noise, but the longer you let it render the lesser the noise becomes. Just a question of how challenging your scene is, how powerful your hardware is and how much time you’ll give it. Just give it enough time and you’ll get a perfectly clean rendering. So I think this complaint is a bit unfair.

Btw, regarding noise and saving time: it would really be awesome if @nathanletwory would enable the cycles denoiser.

Try this to clamp the over-bright white spots:

!_RhinoCycles_SetRenderOptions
_sample_clamp_indirect=3
_sample_clamp_direct=3
_Enter

It will also clamp down the brightest light from the HDRI, so you can set other values too, depending on the scene. Default is 0, so I have a button with both values, making it easy to swap back and forth.

1 Like

thanks, that actually works! no more white pixels. made the button as well, u right, easy to switch.
maybe I’ll find the time to let the CPU do some renderings, just to confirm that CUDA is to blame for the white pixels.

The wite pixles are called “fireflies” and are over-lit pixles, you can find a few videos on youtube on how to tweak settings in Blender, so they are not Cuda related.

I have made a small toolbar for personal use with some tools that I use when I render:

They are:

• cancel

• clamp settings (LMB/RMB)

• show the settings (on the command line)

• hide or not hide floating viewports when rhino isn’t active (when I use a floating viewport on the second monitor I don’t want it to disappear when I check mail etc while rendering)

• new floating 1920x1080 viewport

• set Cycles or rendered display mode (need to reset every now and then, and I hate that cycles inerrupts the viewport dialog box so I made shortcuts for it)

• test show private settings, (to show illuminating materials that casts lights etc.)

• viewcapture shortcut that sets resolution to viewport and scale to 1 and number of cycles to 1, so what you see is what you capture

• toggle environment editor

• toggle material

• toggle indirect lighting on/off (reflected light)

I can send it to you if you like.

3 Likes

Did you already script the paus and lock toggles? _TogglePausedActiveRealtimeViewport, _ToggleLockedActiveRealtimeViewport. Available from 6.6 on

3 Likes

Nice! I’ll add them asap!

could you share your toolbar?

Hi @nathanletwory could Intel’s open denoise be added to Rhino’s Raytraced?
https://openimagedenoise.github.io/
Or is Blender’s denoising on the horison? :slight_smile:
(I’m getting a new machine with an RTX card in one or two days and ready to test it out!)

Since you have an RTX:

• _TestPackageManager
  • select denoise-raytraced - take note of the instruction in the description box when you do
  • install
  • restart Rhino
  • do the check thingy and follow the instructions
  • enjoy DenoiseRaytraced
2 Likes

Oh… Christmas come early this year!
:stuck_out_tongue:… can’t wait… what should I expect to see? Any examples?

Will this work on the 1070 with the raytracing update too?

DenoiseRaytraced should work with any NVidia GPU that is at least the Maxwell architecture. I made this plug-in actually already several weeks ago (:

When I get to it I’ll probably add the Intel denoiser as well, for those who don’t have a GPU that works with this.

1 Like

OK so that means the denoising has nothing to do with the dedicated RT- and Tensor cores in the new GeForceRTX GPUs. Any plans that cycles will make use of those in the future?

Otherwise, in terms of price/performance, two 1660Ti s would make more sense than one 2080Ti, unless you need the vram.

@nathanletwory any info regarding this?

Hi Nathan, I see it works on a static render, but not in realtime. (I don’t have a “Raytraced denoised” version) Is that as expected?

Correct, I didn’t make it work with the viewport, and especially not interactively. You’ll probably have noticed you get two versions of your render, the original one, and the denoised one.

In the end I spent only an hour or so on the plug-in (:

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed :slight_smile:
Cool that you made it work though, but not working interactively/realtime makes it kind of useless to me as that is the only way I use Raytraced these days. Static renderings are sooo 2015 :wink:

1 Like