Any plans to fix RAYTRACED mode or is it now where its gonna stay?

Viewport you use for lookdev. Then when done and you want that huge render with lots of glossy and refractive materials you find you need at least 10k or so samples, and even then noise may be too much. Doing a 250 sample render with denoise will save you €€€, especially at larger resolutions :slight_smile:

For fun you might want to see what the lowest sample count is you can accept render output from.

1 Like

I will test it out for sure! And make a scripted version of the lowest settings that work for me.
Thanks for adding it and for letting us in on the project!

1 Like

This being the raytracing/tensor cores? Nothing interesting atm.

@nathan

Very good news!
But it doesn’t work here:
https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/4/a/4a0a70b85ebf4bbf838366e52017012c5aa00a87.mp4

What can be wrong?

Hmm, the video doesn’t show here.
Here’s the screenshot:

Additional info:
The _original file is there.

Did you run the DenoiseRaytraceCheck (I think it was) and install the denoiser? It is 250mb.

No, ‘of course’ I didn’t.
I didn’t read right…

Thanks for the hint.

Well, it was well hidden :slight_smile:

“The command DenoiseRaytracedCheck will walk you through the setup of the tool.”
Hmm, no.
It takes me to the download, and let’s me download the Denoiser_v2.2.

“And opening the file browser with C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Denoise Raytraced (faede54a-4082-46f4-80b0-0bc9cc5069c3)\settings”
Yes, it opens this folder.
And then?

The browser doesn’t show any info, there’s no readme in the downloaded folder.
I don’t know how to proceed.

Please give me a kick.

Did you use F2 to check the command-line history? Stuff is printed there…

Before the line you first pasted there are three more lines. The code that prints them is

RhinoApp.WriteLine("Download Declan Russell's Denoiser tool and extract the contained Denoiser_v2.2 folder");
RhinoApp.WriteLine($"to your settings folder {settingsDir}, so that you have the denoiser executable at");
RhinoApp.WriteLine($"{denoiserExec}");

@nathan
No, again I didn’t read… such users…
Ok, F2 revealed what to do and it works now.

In a first test, the result is great!
Now I have something to play with.

Thank you!

Yah, sorry. I relied a bit too much on the pro-activity of the super smart users. I just wanted to get this plug-in out ASAP, since I’m working on some diamond material with dispersion and such, but it is really noisy, so a denoiser is a must to keep render times sane.

Once I have a bit more time I’ll definitely make it all a nicer experience, and bring in other denoisers to cover all users. This one currently does only work on Maxwell GPUs and newer (NVidia).

Some effort is really worth it.

Perhaps somewhere in here:
For now, it is very ok as it is.
The results are too good!

You want me to write you a little plug-in to add some extra noise to the denoised output? :wink:

Oh… a hidden compliment, thank you sir! :smiley:

No need, that’s easy with Photoshop.
:laughing::grin:

1 Like

Great WORK ! SERIOUSLY !!! Just TOO SAD that you have to go through ALL of THAT just to RENDER in what’s supposed to be an “improvement”. GOOD LUCK ! - C.

THESE results are “GOOD” ?!?!? Oh, I had my sarcasm detector turned off SORRY - FIXED now ! Whew !

I could have made an image EXACTLY like THIS one (EXACTLY - do you REALLY need ALL those "bounces in a shot like THIS ? REALLY ?!?) using STANDARD Rendered Viewport (SERIOUSLY - its part of my competitive edge and I’ve been DELIVERING for almost 20 years now ), with ZERO wait time for some “Render”. IMAGINE the advantage to nearly INSTANT frames in BONGO compiles, sometimes THOUSANDS of frames in length ! ).

Well, I guess that’s NO LONGER true, tho, as they’ve disabled OpenGL AA support in RH-5 (YES RH-5) and according to another thread here I’m participating in, apparently RH-6, as well.

SO- NOISY Raytraced IT IS and looks to REMAIN for the foreseeable future !

THANKS -

C.

You should have read: “please add the denoising to this dialog as well”. It shows a grainy image yes, but that wasn’t what was said to be good looking. The (not-uploaded) denoised renders are what you should be looking at…

Love your reply :rofl: And @andy sense of humor :sweat_smile:

First of all never use near end values like 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 - usual ranage should be 16-240 on brightnes of albedo/diffuse slot.