Any plans to fix RAYTRACED mode or is it now where its gonna stay?

Ok, V5 up and running, saved the ring file as V5 to get the same setup with the same HDRI lighting and all. And did a few tests and I get about the same noice level as in v6 in about the same time used:

I stopped the renderings after 12 seconds to show the noice level.

Neon rendering on the DUAL Xeon, so basically 2x6 CORES = 24 threads:

And Cycles rendering on the GTX1070:
(I turned off focal blur AND CAUSTICS for a fair comparison)

Neon has more noice, that is true, but it is also competing with dual CPUā€™s and it just looks better.

1 Like

Gorgeous !!!

Yeah, I donā€™t work for them either, and I GENUINELY APPRECIATE any help you can offer on this. I lean more to Animations depicting my Design Assemblies OPERATING in their ENVIRONMENTS (Offshore Oil Platforms and Subsea Installations ā€¦ etc.) so frame-rate IS an issue, and time-to quality is a MAJOR FACTOR.

Numbers ?
NUMBERS tell the tale, NOT static pics with no substance behind them. "What numbers ? " Let me help with that:
The numbers we KEEP going BACK to from EARLY in this thread. You can find them earlier in this thread, with extensive examples, notes, details and conclusions. LET me know if you need a refresher, as its sometimes hard going back to earlier posts on a given thread, but it SHOULD be pretty easy to find fairly recent posts on CARDS, CUDA, SLI (apparently more cores conflict with dual-processing ā€¦ :=O ! ) and capacity, and THEN thereā€™s TIMES to capture (affecting frame rate) . THEN thereā€™s Time to FINISH with END-NOISE LEVEL .

Its DIFFICULT to hand you a ā€œfileā€ as 1. ALL of my work is proprietary and Iā€™m contractually BOUND to confidentiality, and 2. MY files run more to a real-world product design size for Assembly Modeling: 250-350MB to upwards sometimes approaching the best part of a GIG. Reasonably, I can often reduce the working file size to a % of <100MB or so, which MY system will FLY through.

So- I again would ask - to accompany your GORGEOUS pic (!!!) - NUMBERS ?

Iā€™m sure you can NOW spot the ā€œholeā€ in the ā€œwe need a fileā€ argument" ;=) ! FILE SIZE should tell you everything you really need, with an assumption that the internal modeling violates no major convention which would conflict with getting a good render.

Thanks !

Chuck in TEXAS.

I did supply them, the numbers are there right on the images. Just click on it to see it in full size.

No it does not, because your files, number of parts, size etc can be the reason you see issues with Cycles that I do not see.

In example I too have had trouble kicking off renderings on large files with Cycles, but so did I with Neon. And MAYBE it has to do with Cycles using a lot of, and NEEDING a lot of VRAM to handle those files. I donā€™t know. But I would be happy to try one of your files.

So I repeat: FILE PLEASE :smiley:
Just canā€™t bugtrack without.

So I suggest you make a huge dummy file with some scrap parts that doesnā€™t belong together and thus doesnā€™t violate any copyright issues.

Anyway, here is another test with a different file. Both stopped at 25 seconds:

V5:

V6: (Completed in 23 seconds, but who cares ;))

One thing that favours Neon though is itā€™s higher reflection values, and that is one thing that I miss in V6: Shiny materials reflects less. @nathanletwory do you know why? Itā€™s a limitation when trying to achieve polished plastic etc. You can see it in the metal in the ring renderings too.

I havenā€™t looked into this lately, busy working on clipping planes and Cycles-native decals, and Raytraced for the Mac.

But my guess is that you are using Rhino Custom material, not Plastic and Metal. Especially the glossy finish part of Rhino Custom does nothing useful in Raytraced.

what am I missing?

Here a darker plastic, and a better environment to show the polished aspect

and for fun the Grit bump texture applied at medium scale

1 Like

When rendering with Cycles, having couple of transparent and reflective objects bumps up render times.
At least in my experienceā€¦

I suppose reducing number of passes for transparency and refraction might reduce render time among others probably that I havenā€™t touched for a whileā€¦ But objects may come out a bit darkā€¦

For the noise blender cycles improved so continuous development for rhino cycles probably would get thereā€¦

@cfee is it possible to create a rhino file that
you can upload, fake stuff is fine, that runs fast on Neon and slow in cycles? Just copy paste of objects is okay I thinkā€¦
Just as long as hdri and materials are set.

Indeed, when I get to it more recent advancements as denoiser will probably get hooked up.

1 Like

This is what I am talking about:
Rendered to the left, Cycles to the right.

See how the red plastic is much more reflecting in Rendered?
That is how I expect it to be, but cycles is much less reflective.

BUT after some testing I see that this mainly affects the Custom materials.

The red material does not have fresnell turned on. But none the less this is how RhinoRender interprets it and that too is much closer to OpenGL than to Cycles:

Point is that I want them all to look equally reflective so I can tweak the materials to 90% with Rendered and when I turn on Cycles it looks as close as possible. And I want the default scene to make the materials POP.
So please take a look into the Custom material because we need that since the other materials are so limiting in their settings.

Thanks!

PS! Why are more and more black dots appearing as cycles continues to calculate a transparent plastic?

After only 35 passes they are much fewer:

And after 1000 passes it looks like this:

Here is the file:
black dots.3dm (5.7 MB)

This looks like the different handling of the glossy finish bit. At some point I will look into it again, but there are some parts that will never look the same.

Sounds like you need to up the amount of transparent bounces.

That might be, I donā€™t have glossy turned on at all, just reflection, so what happens under the hood is out of my hands. But I am sure that if you give it a spin youā€™ll figure it out :slight_smile:

That doesnā€™t sound right to me, because it starts off looking good, and then ends up looking like crap with more iterations, so to me it should look like crap from the beginning if it needed more bounces. Anyway, Rhino should handle this in the default setting.

But letā€™s not speculate, I attached the file so you can play with it on Monday. Now it is time to enjoy the heat of the summer. Cheers!

I was naughty and just now looked a bit into it. The black dots appear when plastic clarity is not set to fully polished. This indeed sounds like a bug, probably some NaNs happen somewhere.

At some point in the near future Iā€™ll check the changelog of upstream Cycles to see if anything similar was already fixed, and otherwise try to repro in Blender Cycles if I canā€™t find any obvious fix.

I guess for now best to not use polished < 1.0 :frowning:

1 Like

Bad boy! Go play in the sun with your family! :smiley:
Thanks for looking into it though!

Actually, the problem is limited to CUDA rendering. CPU and OpenCL render just fine:

Same here. At < 100% reflection color (fresnel ON) I get reflection, but at 100% reflection, reflection disappears altogether.

Max reflection seems to be between 50% and 75%.

// Rolf

Get it ? AND note the NOISE. Maybe this level of noise is acceptable in some work, NONE of my work is such that this level of noise is acceptable.

STILL NO NUMBERS (25 seconds - Woop-WOOP ! to a sub-par result) so Iā€™ll dig out what Iā€™ve shared here previously. OPENGL/CL (ā€œNā€) seem to work but CYCLES seems to have a problem? Seriously? I thought CUDA rendering was the whole point as GPU rendering and CUDA core count was the latest craze ? NOW weā€™re even seeing a problem with CUDA + SLI TOO ?!?!? And you need me to upload a file so you can bug-chase when your own displayed product has you chasing fresnel reflectivity (and NOISE !) ?!? With the level of reflectivity problems ONLY showing up in Raytraced ? AND a few transparent material items "bump up render times? Guys, you DONā€™T need ME to upload a file. You just need to realize YOU are making my point for me while you chase internal settings one at a time trying to overcome something THAT WORKED in its predecessor ( I wonā€™t use the dreaded ā€œNā€ word here to spare feelings ;=) ! )

But returning to ā€œnumbersā€ : Iā€™ll dig out an earlier post to this thread and re-post it here for reference.
ā€œNumbersā€ is NOT ā€œtime to a personally acceptable sub-par renderā€. Numbers is FAR more, NOT the least of which is Dollars for a ā€œfreeā€ replacement.

Thanks for the validation -

Chuck.

Guys, a bit of a cautious aside here. Weā€™re 2+ almost 3 years into this issue and weā€™re still chasing bugs and NAND issues, etc. Something to consider.

Thanks -

Chuck.

FYI that is Raytraced (Cycles) running on the Radeon Pro using OpenCL - it is not limited to CUDAā€¦

The amount of testing, design feedback to development and Q&A work your are have been doing related to raytrace and materials and all rendering workflow UI is remarkable.

I canā€™t help to imagine how much better rendering workflow be in Rhino if McNeel actually paid you and a couple of others, to do this much more extensible. Especially considering that you are uncovering things that other rendering products have already figured out over a decade ago. And that developers are such a scarce resource.

I keep seeing the gap between what customers need and what McNeel offers widening every year. I think McNeel should take this space a bit more seriously, thatā€™s why I have been so frustrated with it. Also I think they should work a lot more closely with Octane and Vray to solve and improve their integrations. And they should assign one more person to integrate Grasshopper with all things display like rendered/technical/raytrace and Octane/Vray.

Iā€™m just trying to create jobs here.

G

3 Likes

Thanks for the cudos. Itā€™s hard to fathom that we have done this for 20 yearsā€¦ Time for a party I guess!
Rhino is an amazing software that is used in an extremely wide range of work fields and sometimes a small project grows bigger than anybody would expect. Like Grasshopper. Or rendering. Rendering in Rhino was never meant to compete against the big guns, but suddenly, as tools evolve they become so good that users will compare them to plugins that are even more expensive than the total Rhino package. Thatā€™s not a fair comparison, but life isnā€™t fair though.

I think the top priorities are, and should be, to make stable, predicable solutions. With easy to understand limitations and with few and easy to adjust settings. Or to go the whole nine yards and make a top of the line tool that competes with other integrated solutions in other software. And I think that with time Cycles will do just that.

Frankly the only big issue I have with Raytraced mode is that Rhinorender doesnā€™t use the cycles engine. So what you see in the viewport isnā€™t always the same as you get when you hit the render button. Itā€™s close, but Rhinorender just isnā€™t as good, and it is crazy slow. And viewcapturetofile just isnā€™t a user friendly approach. It is a nerdy hack for the select few. And waiting for V7 to fix this is too long to wait for normal users. It was a bad call IMO, nothing more, nothing less. But it will get there, that is for sure.

One thing I would like in the newsgroup though is a ā€œbugā€ category to tidy up the flow of information and a hidden ā€œalphatesterā€ category where stuff can be discussed in a franker manner that doesnā€™t scare off normal users :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope something would be done before V7ā€¦
Even just a window popping up to show whatā€™s being rendered is niceā€¦