Announcement! Video tutorials now on GrasshopperDocs portal

Hi all, I’m excited to announce that we now have 500+ video tutorials on the GrasshopperDocs portal!

This is what the VisualARQ tutorials look like:

This is what the KUKA tutorials look like:

Video Tutorials can only be viewed on the addon pages. I can display them on individual component pages as well, provided we can tag them in such a way.

How you can help!

• I have listed more than 1000 YouTube videos, mostly hand curated, from authors like Parametric House, Om.Egvo, Chris Mackey, Junichiro Horikawa, Geometry Gym, and many more!

• However most of these videos are not tagged (associated with an addon or component) and therefore we don’t know which page to display these on

• If you want to build our video collection, add your videos to the videos.json file on Github, or help in the tagging effort by writing the names of addons that the video pertains to!

If you want to help, simply visit this link, sign in with Github, and begin tagging or adding videos!

Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi @Robinicks ,I wanted to express my gratitude for ‘http://grasshopperdocs.com’. This morning, I was again incredibly frustrated with the lack of usability on the Food4Rhino platform or GH1 search, especially the lack of discovering new components by name or function. That’s when I stumbled upon your website

Your site has streamlined the process of finding and understanding what plugins might be useful. It’s astonishing that I’ve come across it before without truly realizing the value in what you’ve created.

Could you please shed some light on how you manage to update the component index? It does seem like a massive undertaking, and I’ve noticed that some more recent addons aren’t included.

As a community, how can we assist in keeping this index up to date, or perhaps better integrate it with Food4Rhino as a prerequisite? Some addons out there are simply awesome but remain underutilized due to a lack of proper documentation and thus understanding of their full capabilities.

I’m bumping this old post to ensure that others in our community may come to know about this invaluable resource. Your hard work truly deserves recognition, and while I’m sure it’s been a blessing for many, I hope that even more people will benefit from what you’ve built. Thank you once again for this incredible contribution to our field.

PS: can you add a Navigation Bar at the top of your page, just to quickly navigate the different chapters. Thanks

That is awesome! Thanks for compiling all this information.

I have some hopefully constructive feedback for the video element and am willing to help you out if needed with the CSS for the video element.

It looks like its a pre-made solution, but unfortunately the CSS it uses is very old school (using fixed width and height and positioning everything absolute). That means it is not responsive at all, which becomes apparent on a phone, where the whole thing is just hidden, which is a real shame.

I understand you probably didn’t want to just embed all the videos individually, because some plugins have a lot of tutorials, but I think it would actually be better that way. It would be more accessible and responsiveness would be a whole lot easier.

You actually added a “Video Tutorials” button to the top of the page, but on mobile you hide the video section, so the button does nothing. You should at least hide the button as well. But really there is no reason to hide the video section. The CSS is fixable. Basically you don’t want to set fixed widths and heights anywhere. Always use max-width and max-height instead. Then for the width and height of video you do something like:

@media screen and (max-width: 600px) and (min-width: 100px) {

#html5gallery-elem-video-0 {
  width: 100% !important;
  height: 100% !important;
  max-width: calc(100vw - 60px);
  max-height: calc((100vw - 60px) * 0.6);
}

.html5gallery-elem-0 {
    width: 100%;
    height: calc((100vw - 60px) * 0.6);
    max-width: calc(100vw - 60px);
}

}

But really I would say to just use another viewer that is responsive and uses modern CSS. Using position absolute and fixed widths and heights everywhere will mean a lot of CSS to make it responsive and just means you will eventually replace it anyways. It should be built with flexbox.

Also, I don’t see a problem with just embedding all the videos one after the other. That way you avoid all this complexity and it’s actually much easier to use. There is nothing wrong with scrolling on a long page. Having a list that changes the video just doesn’t work well on mobile, because you will scroll down the list, click on a video title and the video will change in the viewer which you then have to scroll to again first.

Lastly, I would add some sort of icon to the overview page that shows if any and how many videos are in one of the plugins or sections.

I hope this feedback is constructive. If you would like any support with the CSS I am happy to help. I am a UX designer and have been re-designing and optimizing the usability of large websites for many years.