Analyze - Audit Summary - Object Tally - Block Definition Objects

I am trying to track down why my workstation is slow and my file size is so large.

I found 47,777 Block Definition Objects in my Audit.

I don’t know how they got there—I just want to delete them all.

when I select ( selblockinstances ) it says none

when I go to Block Manager—I have 5

Does any one know how to delete these Blocks. They appear in every file.

thanks

Hello - use the Purge command to get rid of unused block definitions.

-Pascal

I received this from Kyle Houchens:
Something is set up very badly with your file if you have 44k blocks… You need to investigate where they came from and how those blocks were constructed… If you can find the origin of the block and fix it so it’s not nested a bunch of times it may update in the linked files and help a lot. Something is set up very badly with your file if you have 44k blocks… You need to investigate where they came from and how those blocks were constructed… If you can find the origin of the block and fix it so it’s not nested a bunch of times it may update in the linked files and help a lot.

Hello - I’d look into what plug-ins are running, for the source of the problem. Please run SystemInfo and post the results.

-Pascal

Got phone call - continue - I used the Purge Command —it only helps clean up the items in the “Table Tally” not the “Object Tally”. The 47,777 Block Definition Objects are still there.

Does anyone know the steps to get to where the Block Definition Objects are filed?

… Joe

No plugin – not on the internet—other than to install the software

Purge with “BlockDefinitions=Yes” should clear all the unused definitions.
-Pascal

I tried that—it did not work ---- I check Block manager—found so old ones 6-7 cleaned those also—I have 4 Blocks left there

Pascal—maybe you can find out tomorrow where the Block Definition Objects are stored???

Joe back again—This problem is on a recently “New Build Workstation”. I went back to the very first project that I did on the PC. when I ran Audit—I came up with 66 Block Definition Objects. All I had done at that point was install Rhino and open a older file so I could get my custom toolbar & dimensions. Then I made a template of that blank Rhino—which I have been using. Since I save my work every day with a new date. I am assuming that somehow this 66 items has been doubling every time I opened/started a new Rhino.
The solution is to find where that “Block Definition Objects” are stored.

Comment please. … Joe

Solved – Report Problem.
I went back to the Blank Template that I use. It had collected about 15 or so blocks from AutoCAD files that I had opened. For some reason, everytime I opened the file it made hundreds of copies of these blocks. I would call this a Rhino Glitch. If there were only 15 of so original Block ( which I did not save ) in my template file how did the number get multiplied, and it didn’t just multiply once. I checked files in months previously to today—each month the number kept getting larger.

Knowing that, I will have to do an audit on every file when I open a new file and delete any existing blocks in the file manager before I stare to work.

Also, if I want to save a block—I will have to log the block in a book—that tells me in what project I used the block—so I can go there and copy it into the new project file.

I hope Rhino reads this, and addresses this issue. I am sure I am not the only person who uses Blocks.

I can’t wait for Rhino v7 to be released. Hopefully they addressed everyday issues, and didn’t just add new features.

Even with all the B— S— that occurs sometimes. Rhino is the best CAD Program to use.

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR31 2020 - SystemInfo - 11-14-2020.pdf (68.7 KB)

Create Residence Audit printout.pdf (59.1 KB)

Hello - two MecSoft plug-ins are installed - I do not know if those have anything to do with anything but I would test - first, open a new file using the template that you meantioned that has block definitions - if these are not actually in use as instances in the template, Purge and then SaveAsTemplate and start a new project - are the block instances still gone? If not, repeat the process with RhinoCam and Rhino Art diabled in Options > PLug-ins page (followed by closing and reopening Rhino) and see if the behavior is any different.

-Pascal

Well, I will thank everyone for their comments.
Now to the conclusion:
What I found out is that if you have blocks on a layer, and the layer is turned off—they do not show up in block manager -( most of the time )- ( some times they do )- – when I found this out I deleted all the blocks in my template. {{{ To be clear—when I use the term “Template” I am referring to a template file stored on the desktop >> not a template file stored within Rhino. }}}
Since they do not show up in Block Manager—I did a combination of deleting layers, exploding blocks, deleting blocks in Block Manager -( to be truthful—I did anything and everything I could think of to get rid of the Blocks. Eventually I got all the Blocks & layers they were on deleted.
Close (save as) file—open file—save as—open file >> all blocks are gone.
I don’t have the code to audit it and see if I can find what may have gone wrong. Since this seems to be a one-off error—who even knows if the cause could be found.
I’m happy with knowing that I cannot keep Blocks stored on a working template file. Solution–I just don’t ever do that again–the end

Again thank for the many comments—case closed … Joe