Airplane wing modelling

Hi Parker,

As Pascal mentioned, some of the geometry doesn’t line up.

Attached is my quick attempt. It isn’t perfect but I think it will do. It might help if you look at real images of the plane and see where the splits are in the metal joins. This can help form the shapes and add to the realism if that’s what you’re trying to do.

I basically used your lines to do blendcrv and then sweep for the ends. Splitedge and then blendsrf with curvature.100P Wing191005.3dm (631.4 KB)

Since there’s no easy way to scale background bitmaps and these GA’s aren’t even horizontally aligned, I’m planning to model the plane in whichever size they are then scale it 1:1 to add finishing details.

is this magic? Nice catch on the airfoils btw, I fixed that on my model

Thanks Pascal, I managed to update the wing model accordingly. The GA I’m using isn’t horizontally aligned so I chose

one wing side to model from.

Thanks for your help, unfortunately the wing tip is not a uniform curve but changes along the way (see attached file). Unless you can loft along curve I don’t think this is possible to do. I’m close to giving up to be honest.
Updated Wing.3dm (517.6 KB)

Do you intend to physically build/print this model? If so you can’t have zero thickness trailing edges on the wings.

1 Like

As me and other people mentioned earlier, wings always have thickness at the trailing edge. Also, wings must have a specific cross section shape in order to generate lift. In general, the upper shape must be made so that the air flow will travel a longer distance than the one at the bottom of the wing.

2 Likes

Don’t give up.
Split the trailing edge curve at the tip in two, then you have a leading edge curve, a trailing edge curve and a tip curve. Sweep two curves from airfoil curve to tip curve top and bottom. Do the same trick as my prior message to close the tip (sweep two curves). For the trailing edge thickness, offset it forward by 0.1 ft on a top view and pull that curve on top and bottom wing surfaces and trim. Create trailing edge surface by joining edges. Done.Updated Wing lvb.3dm (502.1 KB)