Advice: Best practice in creating surface with planar edges?

Hi OSTexo,

Thank you for your support!
Learning the thought process of experts really helps to have a more flexibility in the tools.
And more ways the better, since it depends on the situation.

Pascal,

Is your lofting process essentially offsetting the perimeter inwards, displacing it vertically, repeat a couple times, lofting those sections, and then patching the hole in the middle?

Dave

Hi Dave - (and @Toshiaki_Takano) no - it’s kind of a trick - all curves are redrawn - the vertical, or section curves are made as degree three - I used six points in this case - the key is that they all be the same and degree 3. Then the (redrawn, smoother and cleaner, degree 5 in this case) quadrant curves making the wiggly shape are copied and scaled and adjusted to the control point locations of the ‘section’ curves. The curves ‘inboard’ of the edge and the next curve in are smoothed out in shape progressively, approaching the center. These are then lofted with the Point option for the middle where the section curves all meet. The trick is that if you set the curves up this way, a loft with the ‘Loose’ style set in the dialog will exactly follow the section curves - the control points of which they are aligned to… Makes a simple and smooth surface. If you use History in Loft, then you can fine tune the shapes of the inner curves to clean up Zebra if needed.Just make sure to keep adjacent curves at least tangent to one another.

-Pascal

Hello,

I think I’m getting a little closer, I think I can make this even better by starting with a larger inner networked surface before making the blend to the outside edge. I should be able to try that over the next few days. Keep in mind that this particular method requires quite a bit of control point movement, but I can’t see too much way around that given the amount of control points Rhino produces for a blended surface. VSR gives a superior controllable surface but I don’t think that’s an option in this case.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight!
In the beginning I was thinking draw some curves, networksrf then done! but,
Such smooth shape is much more complex than expected…

Hello,

I am experimenting with the majority of the surface made up of blended surfaces and the relatively small core a networked surface. Even using the blending tools in Rhino can be cleaned up to give an acceptable surface.