Advanced Surface Extrude / 'Extend Face" command?

Hey guys, I asked for this before, here is a real life case, but maybe this is a new advanced feature for the next version of Rhino:
a advanced surface extrude or "extend face’ command.

Thanks for gettting your ideas whether there is a script or macro for that already.

Hannes

1 Like

The “Connect surfaces” tool (Surface > Connect surfaces) may help a bit with that, though it only works with surfaces, so the polysurfaces (solids) must be exploded first.

2 Likes

Here is a video with all issues resolved when command is not working.

@Rhino_Bulgaria for pointing out the command. But slowly I know there are faster ways to not get in trouble if you have complicated geometry. The posted video explains all issues with the command and the background how to solve them. but initially this sometimes takes to long and it is more intuitive to extend the surface edges with extend surface and trim all. way faster.

1 Like

I agree with that. Sometimes, the “Connect surfaces” command will behave strangely, such like deleting the portion of the surface that the user wanted to keep.

Wish: Adding a “Flip” option in the Command line will help to avoid that issue.

2 Likes

+1 totally agree, wonderful idea!

2 Likes

“Flip” option in Rhino version 9, maybe? :slight_smile: And a life preview, please (similar to the preview of the “Array” tool).

3 Likes

Logged as RH-79374 Flip option in ConnectSrf

2 Likes

You have control over the portion to delete based on selection point. Maybe the prompt is not clear?
“Select first surface near the edge to extend or the side to keep
Select second surface near the edge to extend or the side to keep”

Here is a demo:

1 Like

Hi Bobi - do you have an example of a case where the wrong part of the surface is removed, keeping in mind that the pick location determines the part to keep, (as in FilletSrf)?
I do see that if surfaces do not intersect, it may be hard to know or hit the locations that make sense - but if there are cases where it is actually getting the wrong answer, that would be good to see.

-Pascal

Hi @pascal , I rarely use this tool, but wherever I come across another bug like this, I will make sure to report it here and upload a 3dm file. I had numerous cases where this happened in the past.

1 Like