Advanced Jewelry Design Workshop
October 22- 24, 2019
10 AM–6 PM
McNeel Europe S.L.
Roger de Flor, 32-34 bajos
08018 Barcelona (Spain)
McNeel Europe is organizing an advanced jewelry design workshop at our offices in Barcelona. Our long-term software trainer and jewelry designer Giuseppe Massoni will tutor this workshop.
Digital jewelry design is becoming a standard within a contemporary production workflow. Your 3D modeling skills and advanced tools should help to explore new creative territories, not become technical bottlenecks. Grasshopper will give you the tools for a parametric approach to jewelry design. This can increase productivity and help discover new shapes and variants. Paneling Tools is a plug-in that perfectly fits for “small architecture” like a jewel. It will let you divide and populate objects in a way that would be impossible to envision in a classic modeling approach.
The term “Advanced” is often confused with the term “complex”. An advanced approach will teach you how tools not expressly thought for jewelry design can help you discover new possibilities for your creativity and improve your skills as a 3D digital designer.
Morning session: Surfaces and Meshes
- Introduction-Nice to meet you!
- Optimal mesh settings for rapid prototyping (advanced options in detail).
- Continuity and how this affects our work.
- Curves quality control. From degree 3 to degree 5. Advantages.
- From good curves to good surfaces.
- Advanced surfacing.
- Signet ring. How much of the shape are you really controlling? Tips and tricks.
- Macros and a bit of customization.
Afternoon session: Grasshopper Introduction for Jewelry Designers
- What is it and how it can help jewelry designers.
- Grasshopper user interface.
- Basic definition to understand the workflow.
- Let’s make our first jewelry design tool: Parametric ring size.
- Dynamic strand of beads.
Morning session: Parametrization of 3D Jewelry Models Using Rhino
- What do we need to know about parametrization?
- Surfaces where curves are neither sections nor rails-Case 1
- Surfaces where curves are neither sections nor rails-Case 2
- History with UDT Time for you to design
Afternoon session: Parametrization of 3D Jewelry Models Using Grasshopper
- Understanding data basics
- Parametric prong setting
- Parametric wedding band stone layout (ring size-stone size)
Morning session: Introduction Paneling Tools
- Paneling Tools User Interface
- Sub-D preview. Let’s get ready for more fun designing jewels!
Afternoon session: Introduction Paneling Tools in Grasshopper
- Paneling Tools in Grasshopper
- Grid basics
- Paneling using custom geometry
- Warp weft jewelry “cloth”
- Beer time!
EUR 795, (+VAT); full-time students and university teachers get a 50% discount (proof of status required). Please note your seat is only confirmed after payment has cleared.
Max. number of participants: 10. If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled 15 days before. (October 7th)
Course language: English
Educational seats are limited. Sign up now by contacting McNeel Europe!
Posted Sep 19, 2019 by Verena on Rhino News, etc.