About PQ Mesh, conjugate curvature network

Thank you Daniel, that’s exactly what I was looking for. And I find your Tray unfolding approach really interesting. Considering your recommendation, Is it possible to add the upper and bottom face to the structure at the same time and take into account the 6 faces of the box for the unroll?, in the code you sent you were considering just the 5 faces. and, Can you please explain me quickly what are you doing in the code just to better understand, I’m not too familiar with C# yet.

And just for the posterity, I found another way to unroll the 4 faces of the structure with the unroll component from open nest.

1 Like

Here’s a modification to also include the top face in the unfolding.

fullBoxunfold.gh (22.1 KB)

The code is taking each face and its offset, adding the sides, and rotating the faces about their edges so that normals match between adjacent faces.

5 Likes

Hi Daniel,

I have another doubt regarding this topic of conical meshes. I have this mesh with some of it’s vertices attached to the ground, then I use the Face Offset component, but I have a problem with the boxes at the edges that touch the horizontal plane, I would like that the bottom faces of this boxes to completely touch the floor. Is there any chance these edge boxes are still conical and touching the ground completely?conical_demo_box_unroll_G2 danny edit.gh (43.6 KB)

something like this:

Hi @dannysantiagovi

One simple way could be to generate it so the panels extend slightly below the ground plane first, then chop off the part below.
Because there’s only 2 panels meeting at these boundary vertices you don’t have to worry about the torsion free property like you do with the internal nodes.

If you want the panels around the base to be vertical, you could add direction constraints to the edges which have one end on the boundary.

1 Like