2D Contour Plots from excel XYZ coordinates

Hi,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am fairly new to grasshopper and I am currently trying to create 2D contour plots, where I can hopefully define the contour values I would like to see on the plots, from a series of XYZ coordinates taken from excel. I have managed to create a 3D surface from my data, however I am now hoping to create the contours much like what can be seen in the attached excel file, however with far flexibility over the ranges of the contours and such that I can load up a greater range of data that will not necessarily be in a uniform grid format.

I have attached the grasshopper file I have developed so far and the excel data I am running the grasshopper file from.

Thanks again for taken the time to read this and in advance for any pointers!
Dan
Contour Data.zip (55.4 KB)

1 Like

In regular Rhino the Patch command can be used to create a surface from irregular spaced data, and the Contour command can be used to create a set of equally spaced contour curves. Beware that if the data is sparse or very irregularly space Patch can produce a surface with large oscillations.

To move xyz data from Excel to Rhino I first copy the data in Excel onto a sheet with the data in three columns with each line as one xyz point. I export the data from that sheet as a .csv file and Import the .csv file into Rhino.

Also note that Patch does not guarantee a result which intersects your input geometry, not even within tolerance. It all depends on how many control-points you’re willing to grant the patcher. If you need a result within some tolerance there will be some iteration involved where successive patches with ever increasing cp-counts are tested against the inputs.