RhinoCycles - Test program for diagnosing CUDA card problems

Hi all,

I’ve uploaded a small tester program to my Google Drive. I’d like to invite all those who are experiencing rendering problems with their CUDA cards to download the csycles_tester.zip file. Unzip anywhere (Downloads-folder or even Desktop is good). Go into the csycles_tester subfolders and run the batch-file called render.bat.

Doing so will create two new files in the folder: log.txt and test.bmp test.png. Please reply to this message and attach both files.

This should give more insight into what’s happening with CUDA cards that are listed, but render black images only.

<edit date="2015.02.25" subject="unsupported_fix">
I’ve made a small fix that should ensure unsupported devices are skipped. A new version with that fix has been uploaded, and is available at the same link.
</edit>

<edit date="2015.02.25" subject="device_capabilities">
I’ve re-uploaded the tester program to tell us about device capabilities as Cycles can see them. This particular step also should show capabilities of devices that will be skipped in the listed devices step.
</edit>

Thanks,

/Nathan

P.S. if your card already works but you really can’t resist go ahead and do those steps anyway! :wink:

OK, I couldn’t resist…
(note that we cannot upload bmp files - I saved as png)

log.txt (32.0 KB)

Ow, right. I’ll adapt the tester program to create a .png instead of a .bmp. Once uploaded I’ll edit the original message. Thanks for notifying :smile:

/Nathan

My render in Rhino was not entirely but nearly black… tester seems to be okay.

log.txt (32.0 KB)

Hmm, this looks then like Something Is Going Wrong in the RhinoCycles plugin. I’d like to still see the output from users that had completely black images though.

On another note: I noticed I missed part of the device description. I’ve uploaded a new version, available from the same link in the original message. This will give a bit more info in the log.txt.

/Nathan

log.txt (32.0 KB)

Thanks, much appreciated :smile:

/Nathan

Ok, error seems clear: it seems a game-over-no-cuda-2.0 available scenario. The png seems empty.

We get file path: C:\Users\Arend\Downloads\csycles_tester\csycles_tester\scene_cube_surface.xml
Using device CUDA_0 Quadro FX 770M
XML node: camera
XML node: transform
XML node: camera
XML node: background
Background shader
XML node: shader
Shader: cube
XML node: transform
XML node: state
XML node: include
XML node: mesh
System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader
C# status update: 0 [Loading render kernels (may take a few minutes the first time)] 0 0 <|> 0,00s 0,00 %
C# status update: 0 [Error]: CUDA device supported only with compute capability 2.0 or up, found 1.1. 0 0 <|> 0,01s 0,00 %
C# status update: 0 [Error]: CUDA device supported only with compute capability 2.0 or up, found 1.1. 0 0 <|> 0,01s 0,00 %
C# status update: 0 [Waiting for render to start] 0 0 <|> 0,01s 0,00 %
C# status update: 0 [Cancel]: CUDA device supported only with compute capability 2.0 or up, found 1.1. 0 0 <|> 0,01s 0,00 %
Cleaning up :)
Done
CUDA device supported only with compute capability 2.0 or up, found 1.1.

Refer to the Cycles GPU rendering documentation for possible solutions:
http://www.blender.org/manual/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

Aha, fortunately this is something I can detect and work around by automatically using CPU. I ll have a go at that tomorrow morning. Some code-wrapping fun to be had!

/Nathan

Here’s my results:
log.txt (32.0 KB)

I was one who had completely black images.
GTX 460

Hi
below teh result of test

log.txt (1.1 KB)
Ciao Vittorio

I had hoped for ERRORERROR in your case as well. So that is two cases that should work ok in RhinoCycles but don’t (yet).

I get this
The program can't start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer

Hi Menno,

You’ll have to install the Microsoft VC++ 2013 runtime libraries. Choose the vcredist_x64.exe file.

FYI, I’ve updated the test program again - it should now also print out capabilities of all devices Cycles can see - even unsupported ones.

/Nathan

Hi, just saw this and tested the laptop with the 330M card.
From what I can see the test used the i5 instead.

log.txt (37.3 KB)

[quote=“Holo, post:16, topic:17065”]
…tested the laptop with the 330M card.From what I can see the test used the i5 instead.[/quote]

That means the 330M isn’t supported (compute capability according device capabilities is 1.2), and CCSycles now correctly falls back to CPU for rendering. The change I made is working.

Thanks for testing :smile:

/Nathan

I’m having some problems with this card (a NVidia Quadro 2000 card).

log.txt (36.8 KB)

There’s an error showing up when using the quadro card to render:

It seems that in the folder C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles\lib the file kernel_sm_21.cubin does not exist.

Hi @arendvw, that was exactly the bit of information I have been looking for.

I only sporadically work with an actually installed version, so this is the reason I didn’t find the origin of the problem. I have now committed changes that should ensure kernel_sm_21.cubin actually is installed with the next WIP update.

Thank you very much for reporting.

/Nathan

log.txt (36.6 KB)