Release of EvoluteTools T.MAP *beta*

Hi everyone,

just in time for the holiday season, we are happy to present EvoluteTools T.MAP beta, a plugin providing mixed integer parametrization for Rhino.

• map textures with minimum distortion
  • use quadrangular or triangular textures
  • extract level set curves of parametrization, e.g. for remeshing using triangles or quads
  • align parametrization with user-guided curves or principal curvature directions

To give you an idea of what it does here’s a few quick examples:

Input mesh / Quad pattern / Triangular pattern

Pattern influenced by a curve (could be several curves of course)

Pattern (strongly) influenced by mesh curvature

Ease of use
EvoluteTools T.MAP consists of a single command with only a few simple options to give you access to powerful mixed integer parametrization without a steep learning curve. In fact, a basic parametrization can be achieved by a single click and within a few seconds time (provided your input mesh size is reasonably sized - otherwise it might take a little longer).

Input
Currently the input must be a mesh, but this will soon be extended to surfaces and polysurfaces.

Licensing and support
EvoluteTools T.MAP is currently delivered free of charge as a public beta. It will be released commercially at a later stage, at which point beta evaluation licenses will cease.

Download
We encourage you to download EvoluteTools T.MAP beta here and use it freely and without restrictions throughout our public beta phase. We rely on your feedback, feature requests, bug reports, and questions here in the forum to make T.MAP a great, stable and useful product - so don’t hold back with your thoughts.

EvoluteTools T.MAP beta download link

3 Likes

Very nice!

Look promising.
I’ll take a try asap.

Thanks

We were asked about installation instructions. There is no installer yet, please follow the following steps:

1. Unzip the downloaded file EvoluteTools_T.MAP.zip, to a location of
    your preference (e.g. Desktop).
  2. Start Rhino, currently only Rhino 5 64bit is supported.
  3. Drag & Drop the following plugins to Rhino:
  • EvoluteTools_T.MAP.rhp
  • EvoluteCoutHook.rhp
  • EvoluteLicenseManager.rhp
  1. The Toolbar will be loaded automatically by EvoluteTools_T.MAP.rhp.
  2. Start EvoluteTools T.MAP by clicking the single button in the toolbar, or typing etTMap.
  3. When prompted for a serial number, click register, then enter your
    email address. You will be sent a serial number.
  4. Example textures can be found in subfolder TextureExamples.

Have fun and let us have your feedback!

1 Like

Hi, i Gut this message i attached a picture for it, what can i do to solve the problem?
thanks

Hello Maher,

thanks for your interest in EvoluteTools T.MAP. Typically Rhino should download new service releases automatically and ask you to install them once they are ready. If this doesn’t happen on your system for some reason, you can download the newest service release here: http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5.0/sr
You will be asked for your Rhino serial number.

Let us know if this didn’t help you.

Best,
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Thanks it work perfect and its a great tool.

Thanks again

Hi Mathias,

At first I thought that this plugin was something similar to zremesher for zbrush.
I’m sure that many rhino users would love to have a feature like this, but then I realized that what it does is something different.
On the other hand the tool gives you polylines that can help on the re topology but not as a final result.
I wonder if you are planing to release another plugin that can deliver meshes?

Anyway I found the plugin great and promising as it is :).

Thanks,
Joaquín

Hi Joaquin,

thanks for yout interest in our plugin! Your first intuition is actually correct, we are working on something quite similar to the zremesher function you mentioned. It’s just that the part creating the mesh output is not finished yet, and we were so excited about the possibilities that we decided to release a simplified version which does only texture mapping as a christmas goodie.
When we’re done, you will definitely be able to create meshes and, just like with zremesher, there will be many more ways to influence the output.
So stay tuned - an until then we’d appreciate any feedback you can give us!

Best,
Mathias

1 Like

Hi @mathias,
I can’t get the texture working. I get the nice polyline over the object but the texture doesn’t flow correctly.
Could you please make a short video on how to work?
I’ll appreciate.

And keep working, It’s a very interesting plug-in for many users.
I like it (Y)

Hi @skysurfer, could you post a screenshot of your result?

I will, tomorrow.
Thanks.

Hi @snabela here the screen capture of my model.
In fact it’s a scan from Cornell univerity or something like this.
The orginal format was Obj. I imported it into Rhino. (Sr10)

Thanks for any infos
Ciao
Riccardo

Hey Riccardo,

since the quads on your model are quite small, I can’t really see if the texture is properly applied to it at all. The way I usually do it is to use the command “TexturePalette” in Rhino. There, you can add bitmaps of your choice to the palette and then apply them by drag and drop to a model. If you do this with a T.MAP result mesh, you should see bitmap being applied to the pattern.

However, since on a model as complex as this one you will definitely have irregular points in the pattern (points where more than 4 lines come together), in order to have a correct flow everywhere on the model you would need a bitmap that is 90° rotation symmetrical like this one:

There’s more info on that in the T.MAP help file.

I hope that was of help, but feel free to continue asking!

Best,
Mathias

1 Like

Hi Mathias,
This could become a very important tool in our workflow, it’s very promising!
A few questions:
-Before I invest time into this, I’d like to know if, when a commercial version is released, it will be within our reach. Can you share what you think how it will be commercialized? What would be the cost?
-The number of repeat of a pattern is important on most of the model and it doesn’t look like it’s controllable with the current options. I tried a few values for “NumberOfLevelsets” but I did not get what I neede. Do I miss something?
-The command line prompt responds in a weird way. Once the etTMap command invoked, even Esc will start the computation.

Hi Marc,

thanks for your interest in EvoluteTools T.MAP.
To your questions:

1 We haven’t settled on a price for the final product yet, but it is definitely targeted for a larger audience an will therefore be affordable. To be as accurate as we can be at this point: it will be in the hundreds of euros, not in thousands.

2 You are right, the control over the number of quads in each direction is very limited in the current beta. We have more options in our internal version which allow a very precise control of, amongst other things, the number of quads. We are working on making them more user friendly, and they will definitely be in the final release.

3 Thanks for pointing that out, it will be fixed in the next beta version.

Best,
Mathias

Excellent Mathias, I’ll follow this closely!

I had a problem that I think is due to T.MAP that made Rhino crash:
-I tried T.MAP in a file to play with the settings.
-I deleted all the meshes that I created while doing this and saved the file.
-When I try to open this file, Rhino crashes
-I started Rhino in safe mode and was able to open the file
-I cleared plug-in data (with -SaveAs) and saved the file
-I can now open the file normally

I tried TMAP recently and was not able to get a mesh out of it, only a collection of curves. Is this correct? Will you provide mesh functionality too?

@menno as stated above: