Oculus RIft (3D viewing)

Please tell me someone is working on integrating this with rhino. Pleeeeeeeease. :smile:

https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/

3 Likes

A lollipop with every setā€¦

-Pascal

2 Likes

I wonder if the stereo view stuff in display mode settings that @jeff works on could be used here. Viewing an animation and working in 3D may be vastly different experiences though.

or like this one

1 Like

We signed up for their developer beta program (at their request) and was accepted (months ago)ā€¦ They said they would be sending me hardware and development toolsā€¦but never did, and I completely forgot about them until recently when Dan mentioned them in one of our meetingsā€¦

I donā€™t know what happened or who dropped the ball on this (maybe I did), but nothing became of this because I did not receive anything from them.

Iā€™m pretty sure that none of the 3D Stereo settings in Rhino will work with this technologyā€¦ It will require specific integration into Rhino, complete with its own setting and/or group of settings.

So no, nobody is looking into this or workong on getting this working in Rhino. If Oculus wants their hardware to work in Rhino, then they need to make the next moveā€¦they have my contact info (or did :))

-J

Coolā€¦ glad thereā€™s interest at least. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll knock on their door about it. Iā€™m just imagining really being immersed, walking around a sculpture designā€¦ getting a real feel for it in a way I cannot on just the computer screen.

That makes one wonder when the appreciation of the physical model will be surpassed by the experience of the virtual one.

-Willem

Thatā€™d sure save me some time in the shop. :wink:

@jeff: I spoke with Joe Chen (their lead on non-gaming applications at Oculus) and he said heā€™d be reaching out to you. (happy dance)

1 Like

Yep, kits will arrive to me some time next weekā€¦ Thanks for the nudge! :smile:

-J

2 Likes

Youā€™ll look smashing in that outfit!

-Pascal

Wooohooo! Awesome. Hope it works out, Iā€™ll be first in line to get one.

Yay!
Can you make an iphone app that does the same thing? I can put together a print-your-own holder for it :slight_smile: Just need to add a few lenses and off we go! (not kidding)

Well for myself, Iā€™d want to use it to simply virtually ā€˜sitā€™ in front of a much bigger monitor in an office with a view.

1 Like

At the current resolutions, Iā€™m not sure how well this works outā€¦ the consumer version is said to have 1920Ɨ1080 (itā€™s lower on the developer version), but thatā€™s split between two eyes, so the effective rez is 960x1080, lower than most large monitors these days. That said, if youā€™re only looking at a small chunk of the screen and you see more screen as you swivel your head, there would be much more simulated resolution. This brings to mind all sorts of questions about how this works in rhino. I think itā€™s be less of a modeling environment and more of a ā€œsee how itā€™s looking in the real worldā€ evaluation mode, but who know what @jeff will come up with. Thereā€™s lots of tricky stuff to figure out about how this all interfaces.

That said, it would be pretty cool if someone made an app for more 2D uses that essentially made the view a massive monitor that continued left, right, up, and down as you swiveled your head, essentially making a monitor as big as a wall, or practically infiniteā€¦

Iā€™m really interested in this, what is the hardware requirement for this device? I hope I can run it on my laptop?
Would we move the camera (i.e ourselves) like pans and zooms with the mouse cursor and turning the head would make the camera rotate from side to side and up and down?
RM

From: http://www.oculusvr.com/faq/ ā€œThe computer must have an HDMI or DVI video-out port. Note that VGA is unsupported at this time. Other than that, there are no minimum specifications, though the more powerful the computer, the better the experience will be. Any standard gaming computer should be sufficient to use the Oculus Rift.ā€

I personally imagine that youā€™d move through space with keyboard/mouse, but the view would follow head movements.

I got to play with one at the Imagination Technologies (Caustic/Neon peeps) booth. They had me there to talk to reporters about the caustic card and represent itā€™s use with Rhino/Neon. They asked me to hang around later to do one extra interview, so I said ā€œonly if I get to try your Oculus outā€. The developer version is a bit low-rez, but I see the potential (the finished product is to be twice the rez). I really want one to work with rhino now!

1 Like

I really want to use Rhino with the Oculus Rift and Leap Motion, seems to be an ideal way to get into the model and interact with it. Our Oculus Rift developer kit arrived a few days back, and it is an amazing experience, you become immersed very quickly, but when you reach out with your hands and they donā€™t appear it is disconcerting.

2 Likes

Ah, David, allways a few yards agead of meā€¦ (read: years :wink:
I canā€™t wait to see how this unfolds!

1 Like