Iris: WebGL Export Plugin for Rhino

Hi Luis,

I loaded the 3.0 plugin for v5. The file with UI did not load at all, both local and remote. The file without UI loaded to 93% and stopped.

Dave

Hello Dave,
Had you tried the plugin before v 0.3.0? Did it work?

In any case, what kinds of model are you trying? Do they have textures and maps?

Finally, what is your computer environment (I assume from above Rhino 5 x64)?

If we cannot sort things out in this manner, I suggest we try a Skype or similar. It would help me to see where things are going wrong.

Thanks,
Luis

v 0.3.0
On RH5 - worked ok both with and without UI.

On WIP - error message:

Rhinoceros WIP Failed to Save Failed to save as [path]\[name].webgl. The file writing plug-in failed.

Thx.

Same here.
No error message on save.
And no visible output.

In Chrome, the UI loads but not the model.
All I get is the ‘Iris art project’ when trying to do something with the right mouse button:
CP_WebGLArt.mp4 (129.6 KB)

Hello Charles,
What is this video? Where do the arrows come from?

The video is the Chrome window.
It opened after ‘Export selected’.

Don’t know where the arrows come from.
I thought you should know…

If you want to have a look, skype me.

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Hello All,
Iris has been updated to 0.3.1, now with support for Blocks and their nested objects. Still to work on are exporting dimensions, hatches, text dots, clipping planes, etc. If you have a block heavy file, I’d appreciate you test it out and let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
Luis

Hello All,
Iris has been updated to 0.3.2. This adds support for materials set by layer. Points and Pointsets have been reworked to work better with the layers in the WebApp.

Thanks,
Luis

Hello All,
Iris has been updated to 0.3.3. This release fixes some issues in both the WebApp as well as the Plugin side of things. Most notably:

• WebApp: Added ctrl+rmb for Zooming when there is no mouse wheel (@Willem)
  • WebApp: Fixed aspect ratio issue when resizing browser
  • WebApp: Updated to Three.js r72
  • WebApp: Camera views would not play well together and the controls would get strange. Views exported from Rhino now serve as references. Changing a view moves the main camera to that view position, but the stored view does not change
  • WebApp: Code cleanup
  • Plugin: Now if a user saves the model via File > Save As or _SaveAs or anything other than _Export, behaviour is similar to other operations with the SaveAs command in that anything that is visible in the Rhino model will be exported
  • Plugin: Code cleanup
  • Plugin: Fix issue in Block Export Logic where the plugin would error due to no objects being processed.

As always, this is a WIP, so any feedback you have is important to getting this working well.

Best,
Luis

p.s. I am always compiling against the latest versions of Rhino so currently:

• Rhino 5.0 x64 sr11
  • Rhino 5.0 5A857
  • Rhino 6.0.15160.8491, 6/9/2015

Hi Luis,

double sided rendering would be good:

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

That’s fair. It is not so difficult to turn on. There are some issues with shadows looking right, and this is why I turned it off. I’ll switch it on in 0.3.4 and see how we do.

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the update agian!

An Issue I have been wanting to report is that it is not possible to overwrite a previous save.
When in the save dialog and choosing the previous export, you get directed into the previous saved folder.
Not sure how this would be solved, but since it’s a folder that is saved, it’s impossible to overwrite that.

Thanks
-Willem

Well, there could be a few ways to deal with that, but none of them have peaked my interest as a great approach.

• Create a bundled file type (like .docx, .rhi, etc) - this could work, but then the user would need to extract the files prior to loading to a web server. On the other hand could be a nifty way to distribute files for non web server use.
  • if an existing folder is selected, replace the necessary files. - This one might be more possible, but I need to look at the logic of this.

It is too much trouble to just delete the previous save or create a new folder? I’d like to know in which cases something like this would be a critical feature?

Hi Luis,

It’s not much of a problem *), just an annoyance as it’s counter intuitive given the way it works when saving a file with extension:

• hit _SaveAs get the dialog,
  • choose the file to overwrite
  • hit enter

I have found a workaround:
If I type the name and add ‘.Webgl’ the export will overwrite the previous export.
This brings another issue to light btw: should there not be a warning about overwriting?

For me, I’d prefer a folder type export as opposed to a package.
Maybe a local option would be package in any case, It’s indeed much easier to distribute.

*)
Another issue I found while testing this:
If I exported with local option I cannot delete the folder! Apparently ‘rhinoweb.exe’ keeps running in the background preventing the deletion of the folder. Even of the browser has been closed.

Thanks!
-Willem

rhinoweb.exe closes down if the tab in the browser is closed. For some reason, if the whole browser window is closed, it misses this event. I’ve added this as a bug to be fixed immediately. soon Thanks.

1 Like

HI Luis, I having an issue with when I create a .webgl file. Then try to open it, it will start to load in my browser then stall at roughly 80%.

THanks!

Dave

Dave, @sierradays
Is it with all files? Which browser are you using? Try this, once it stops loading press F12 in the browser to get the browser console and press F5 to refresh. Are there any errors that come up in the console window?
thanks,
Luis

Hi @fraguada

Today I installed iris-win.0.3.3 for Rhino5
I get an error message when starting Rhino:

DETAILS:

DETAILS:

Any ideas?

-Willem

I had it installed but got the message that the 0.3.3 version expired. There is no new version. . .