Iris: WebGL Export Plugin for Rhino

0.3.4 is almost ready. There is one nasty issue I’m having with Nested Blocks. Since only one person noticed that issue, I might just release 0.3.4 while I continue working on solving the block issue.

Hi All,
Just updated the releases (Rhino Win 5.0 x64 and Rhino Win WIP) on the Iris Food4Rhino page. The 0.3.4 Release adds functionality, especially to the UI webapp template and fixes some bugs issues:

• Plugin: A change in the code would cause curves with negative domains to fail. This is fixed.
  • Plugin: Used to only use ‘Phong’ material definition, now materials are mixed (Phong/Lambert) based on if the Rhino material has shine.
  • Plugin: Fixed persistent settings in Options Box
  • Plugin / WebApp: Object with no thickness would render as one sided if they had a material with transparency. For now, all materials are double sided. This might introduce other artifacts.
  • Plugin/WebApp: Added support for environment maps
  • Plugin/WebApp: Added link to privacy policy due to the addition of some tracking code to better debug the Iris
  • WebApp: Added Screenshot capture in the UI
  • WebApp: Added Zoom Extents in UIWebApp: Added Zoom Select in UI
  • WebApp: Mouse events would be triggered outside of model canvas, this is fixed

Known Issues:

• Plugin: Objects in Blocks, especially when in nested blocks will not export well. The best workaround at the moment is to use _ExplodeBlocks command, change the objects material source to object or layer, ensure they are on the correct layer (if using material by layer), and export. 0.4.0 will add better support for blocks so that no references have to be exploded.
  • WebApp: After zooming extents and zooming selected several times, geometry might show some errors ( jagged faces, etc). This is being investigated and will be ameliorated for 0.4.0.
  • Plugin/WebApp: Text Objects from Rhino with multiple lines do not render well in webapp. Best workaround if you want multiline text is to break it up into different text objects per line.
  • Plugin/WebApp: If running ‘locally’ rhinoweb.exe/rhinoweb.app will keep running if only one tab was open in the browser and you closed that tab.

As always, remember this is a WIP. The selection mode introduced is experimental, the zooming is experimental, etc. Your feedback is crucial to understanding whether these are useful things, whether they should be presented in a different mode, etc.

1 Like

Hello All,
Just wanted to mention the availability of Iris for Rhino 5.1 for OSX (i.e. ‘the mac version’). Iris has been cross platform since the beginning of it’s development, and a few people here and there have tested the mac version. Now since SDK / Plugin support is coming to Rhino for Mac, I’m releasing publicly Iris for Rhino for Mac.

The Windows and OSX versions differ in a few ways:

1. Render Primitives are not yet supported on Rhino for Mac. Things like Curve Piping, Shut Lining, Displacement, etc do not exist, therefore will not export.
  2. There is a rhinoweb.app file which helps to view the results on your own machine. In Windows it is rhinoweb.exe. If you choose the ‘local’ export, this is what opens your browser automatically.

We will probably see other ‘teething’ problems, so please, if you are using either versions, let us know your experience, issues, and anything cool that comes out!
-Luis

This is just Rhino for Mac WIP, for now, correct? I see previous post, OK. Looking forward to testing it.

Thanks.

It works now for any version of Rhino for OSX. When Rhino 5.1 OSX gets released, you can just drag and drop the .macrhi into it (as in the WIP). At the moment, we have Rhino 5.0.2 and Rhino WIP for OSX. For Rhino 5.0.2 you have to change the .macrhi to .zip and extract the folder contents. These you then have to save the contents of the zip in a special folder: Users > yourusername > Library > Application Support > McNeel > Rhinoceros > MacPlugins >

It will probably be much easier to wait for the 5.1 update.

-Luis

Thanks, installed perfect in WIP.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for testing! Please try the same when you update Rhino 5.0.2 to 5.1.

Hi Luis, your plugin looks pretty interesting and very useful to collaborate with others remotely, however I don’t have any knowledge about FTP servers, and I don’t currently own any webpage, so I don’t know what to use as the FTP server host, or server address. Any other way to have my model on the web without FTP servers? Or how could I manage to do it without a webpage of my own? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

I guess you are thinking web server, not FTP server? If you pick the ‘Local’ option, you won’t have to worry about any of those. You will be able to view the model in a web browser locally.

1 Like

Hey Fernando,
This is a great question and is something I’ve been meaning to address. @wim makes a good point. The ‘local’ option is meant to allow you to view the files locally. Once exported, your browser will launch the resulting model automatically. You can send the resulting files to a collaborator and they can run the .exe or .app to view the file.

Another thing I just tried is to have the files in your dropbox account. If you put the resulting files in your Public Dropbox Folder, you can share the link to the index.html file and the person you share it with will see the site. Cool! I can imagine other cloud file services will have a similar feature.

In essence, putting the model on drop box is similar to what you would do with a web server. But as you mention, you need to have the web server space to be able to do this. If you want the model online, Dropbox might be your path of least resistance.

Let me know if you need any tips on how to do that.

-Luis

Just trying to install before heading to work, but getting this …

and it says this for version …

ideas?

Yes, I jumped the ball. Yesterday, the downloadable file worked with Rhino WIP 5B137w and not Rhino 5.0.2 (currently available release). So, anticipating the 5.1 release, I compiled it for Rhino 5.1 5B145 and Rhino WIP 5B148w. This release did not go out due to some issues that popped up. If you message me privately, I can send you the 0.3.3 release for you to test out in the currently released versions. Apologies for anticipating the release! If all goes well, in a few days this will be history…
Luis

Hi Luis,
I can put the 0.3.4 I have here at work, in my Dropbox for home tonight. No rush. I am trying to see about adding materials & background. Do I do this with RhinoRender on my Mac?

here is file from yesterday, working here now.

and here is my first test in Safari …

This can be really neat for us here to preview our Rhino models.

No need for 0.3.3 for now, i will wait for Rhino 5.1 at home. Also wondering about El Capitan & 5.1 anyway.

Tips for adding materials would be great, back to Food4Rhino to reread your info.

Go ahead and add materials by layer or by object. You can define this through the Object Properties or by clicking on the material column for the layer you wish to modify as I’ve done below on the Default layer:

1 Like

In general, the documentation for Iris needs a lot of work, but requests like these help to steer the effort in the direction you need it to. At the moment, most of the information is on the Food4Rhino page, but I think it needs a different format to accommodate these small walkthroughs. Also, I wonder if we would need our own Plugins > Iris sub-forum since this thread is getting a bit too long to be useful?

This would be helpful, especially since it is cross platform, actually in Win Rhino right now.

Just getting the Windows versions for 5 64bit & 6WIP.

Hi Luis, thanks for the quick reply. I tried the way you said, though with Google Drive, as I’m over my Dropbox storage limit. However, I don’t get the model, I get the HTML file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By337PpAtxjHUlRySS1tSTRWcmM

If I understood correctly, I was supposed to share the URL for the “index.html” file (seen above), right?

Not sure about Google Drive. Each cloud system will do this differently.
This is what Google came up with: How to Host your Websites on Google Drive - Digital Inspiration, but I’ve not tried this. I have tried this, and it works, but I’m not so comfortable using third party tools on google drive. I have looked at a few other tools the Author has created, and they all seem legit. That being said, don’t blame the messenger…

Worked perfectly, thanks Luis.

Ok! Adding the option to make publishing to a webserver or cloud service automatic has been a goal for Iris since the beginning. I’ll make an attempt at it for the 0.4.0 release.

1 Like