Import properties from V4 to V5 ...how?

Hi,
I wish to get my display space colours etc and other tweaks as I had them in V4, into V5.
Is there an easy way to do so ?

Even the osnap tick boxes were not showing after install.
Display space is shades of a blue grey and a bit dark, I dont recal V4 as such but maybe I have lightened it up somewhat as I display weak plans over it.

I also imported a dwg and there was no grid or Cplane at all, how to I get out of that one ? was same in V4 in fact.

Steve

You might look at the command ExportOptions in V4 and OptionsImport for V5… Unfortunately, @margaret the Help file only has a one line description for each… [This page][1] has some more info on transferring settings…

–Mitch
[1]: http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/settingstransfer

Thanks Mitch…for the link. Its one thing I thought would be popular as we tailor our rhino to suit ourselves.

Even an option during install maybe.

Steve

Hi,
before upsetting V5 maybe, I thought it wise to save the default settings.
I open V5, type OptionsExport and a list appears, I choose the first one, (as its not obvious that one can choose them all ) and created one ini file, chose a destination and ok’d it.
Then to get to do the next we need to type OptionsExport again, as unlike V4 the list doesnt re-eppear !
but hey, typing command OptionsExport its now lost the list, all it shows me is the location of the one I just saved !!!

Now how do I ever save the rest ?

A bug maybe, having used command OptionsExport it then looks to destination not source when run again !

The link McNeel page given doesnt mention this happening at all.

Now stuck, I suppose I can revert to defaults using the properties window reset defaults.

So I proceed to use OptionsImport to bring in the ini files just made in V4

I ghosted list of Options to Import appears, untickable, obviously I need to browse to the ini files I made with V4.

I browse to where they were saved to, choose the first one displayBackfaces.ini and V5 says

The selected file is not a valid options file

Each one I saved sees V5 say not a valid file !!!

Just how do I get my user prefs, my screen grid colours, my light grey background, neutral grey colours etc and more into V5. The default background is too dark and makes hell of viewing translucent plans laid on it. My file lines are designed for a light grid so I cant see them now.

Steve

OptionsExport in V5 exports ALL your options settings. You don’t need to do anything except give the file a name.

When you import them with OptionsImport, there, you will have a dialog showing you all of the options and you can check which ones you want to import - one, several, or all…

True, @margaretbecker the Help for these two commands is virtually nonexistent. The Wiki page is good, but at least some small part of it should be included in the Help.

–Mitch

Hi,
Wishing to get my V4 settings into V5 here.
I try again, open V4 and type ExportOptions

I cant select them all, it only allows me one at a time, so what I did first time around was correct, and V5 refuses to recognise them.

it says when using OptionsImport…

The selected file is not a valid options file.

Why wont V5 recognise V4 ?

What are the exact steps to bring in my background colours, grid colours, ditch the dark tones of V5, lose the too light backgrounds of the palettes as I cant see the white lines, etc ?

I would also like to lose the blueness throughout if possible as I work with photoshop and screen setup should be neutral greys for menus and screen to keep colour perception correct. Windows classic style is chosen to give the neutral grey, the warm browny grey is a no no for colour work.

Steve

Just give it a name. Looks like RhinoV4userPrefsOptions is what you called it. All your options will be in there. Then in V5, OptionsImport that file… You can only import one file, but that’s all you need.

My advice is not to import display modes from V4 to V5 - too much has changed, so I don’t think it’s a good idea. Recreate them in V5.

–Mitch

One thing is, V4 does not export display modes with ExportOptions- those you need to do individually and Import them in V5 Options > View > Display modes.
V5 does export display modes in OptionsExport.

-Pascal

Hi,
Mitch…
I need to double state this as its not being understood.
V4 will not allow all the 8 ini files you see there to be selected en masse and saved as one.

As Pascal says

V4 does not export display modes with ExportOptions- those you need to do individually and Import them in V5 Options > View > Display modes.

I had to do each one.

But then unlike what Pascal says…V5 refuses to recognise the saved ini files V4 made.

Hi Pascal,

V5 does export display modes in OptionsExport.

Options Export in V5 exports the first setting, but then doesnt return you to the list to choose another, I type OptionsExport and it shows me the one I saved ! I wish to save more. I cant see them to do so, only the destination folder ! Does this happen for anyone else ?

Should I give up as its obvious its not possible.

Is it best to forget trying to pull in my settings from V4 ?

lets set V5 up manually.

How do I darken up the background to the tools rollouts so I can see the white details, see my image above.

How do I change the blue theme ?

I shall for the backgrounds and grid make notes from V4 and alter all the display properties.

What of DisplayWireframeInLayerOrder as I had as a viewport option ? Unable to export that as ini to V5 as stated 3 times…now what ?

DisplayBackface was another.

Steve

I will update this. Thanks.

I believe I said it would only import one file. I also recommended not importing display modes. It’s basically a 15 second operation, export your options from V4, and import them into V5.

But I think I’m going to simply drop out of this thread, as I am unable to make my explanations any simpler or clearer… Good luck.

–Mitch

Sorry if I am missing something under my nose here.

ok it will only import one file…

but…
The problem is Mitch it wont recognise that one V4 ini file in V5.

A step by step or jing video and I could follow along exactly, in my step by step what did I do wrong ?

I have asked how do I improve the backgrounds and theme…is it possible ?

Steve

which steps - exactly - did you take here on the v5 side?

Steps to backup my V5 default settings were:-
I open V5, type OptionsExport and a list appears, I choose the first one, (as its not obvious that one can choose them all ) and created one ini file, chose a destination and ok’d it.
Then to get to do the next we need to type OptionsExport again, as unlike V4 the list doesnt re-Appear !
but hey, typing command OptionsExport its now lost the list, all it shows me is the location of the one I just saved !!!

In V4 to export the ini files I went into File>Properties>Appearance>AdvancedSettings and chose e.g wireframe and clicked export. browsed to a suitable folder to save it to.
List remains visible so I worked my way through doing each one in turn.
I closed V4 and opened V5, typed OptionsImport and browsed to that ini file, it said

The selected file is not a valid options file

Steve

It’s not an Rhino options file. It’s a display mode ini file. You need to import THAT in Options>View>Display Modes>Import.

–Mitch

aha, :blush:

which method should I use to bring in the shades of grey, colours for X and Z and Y etc etc I use for my stage ?

Still wondering how I change the tool rollouts to have darker backgrounds so I can see the icons white parts and make sense of the images, they were clear in V4 , as per my example image. and the blue theme etc.

Steve

Check out Options > Appearance > Colors. Scroll down in the dialog box to the “Window colors.” I think changing Window color 3 will give you what you need.

In v5, you can import the settings ini file from v4 (NOT the display mode ini file) to set these “globally”. These settings will be used for all display modes. You can then go in into View > Display Modes and override these global settings per display mode if that is what you want.

I don’t use toolbars but it looks like you are after a combination of Window color 1 and Window color 2 for the first part of the question and I would think that you need to go into the settings of the Windows operating system to change the blue theme…