How do I snap the base of a paraboloid to a sphere?

How do I snap two solids together? I have looked at Osnaps but I cannot figure out how to actually get the base of the paraboloid on the sphere.

If the sphere is an O and the paraboliod is a D it would look like this
OD (imagine they are touching)

thanks

Hi! Place the paraboliod so its base is facing the CPlane. It is important, because it determines the orientation of the object during _OrientOnSrf, which you do next. Pick the object to orient (paraboliod), pick the base point (the center of the paraboliod base with Center snap on), pick the sphere.

1 Like

From your description I think your paraboloid base diameter is a small fraction of the sphere diameter (maybe 5% - 20% ?) and you would like to snap them together so that the perimeter of the paraboloid base is on the surface of the sphere. Is this a fair statement of your problem?

Perhaps another solution would be to intersect a cylinder of the desired paraboloid base diameter with the sphere to produce a circle ON the surface of the sphere and then build the paraboloid from the circle. I’m not at my Rhino machine right now, so I can’t try it out to be sure. This would be a technique to use if you needed the paraboloid base to be a very specific diameter on the sphere.

If it just needs to look good, you could just build the paraboloid with an appropriate approximate base inside the sphere so that it extends outside the sphere the desired distance and pierces the sphere with the desired diameter, then boolean the two together.

I assume you know how to use the array command to distribute multiple copies of the paraboloid over the surface of the circle.

Thank you!

Hi 0netech!

Is there a a way to position the paraboloid on the sphere in a different place once I snap it? I still want the base of the paraboloid attached to the sphere by its base, but on a different place on outside of the sphere.

Do you know a way to do that?

Thank you so much!