Changing the popup menu between icons and text on Mac

Stupid question I’m sure but I just spent the last 30 minutes searching the forum to no avail. How does one switch the popup menu between icons only and list of small icons with the description of the commands?

Bringing up the Popup Pallet from Window → Active Tool Pallets brings the pallet up as icons but the middle button brings it up as a list. I’d like the middle button to bring it up as a pallet of icons. In the picture below the pallet version is on the left and middle button is one the right.

Thanks much,

Dave

Rhino people, anything? Is it not possible to get a middle button popup with icons instead of menus?

you can run this macro from the middle mouse button:

_ShowToolPalette _ToolPalette=Popup _Visible=_Toggle UnderCursor=Yes AsMenu=No Enter

go Rhinoceros-> Preferences-> Mouse-> mouse…

for Middle mouse button, click the button ‘run this macro’.

then type or copy/paste the macro above into the text field…

1 Like

Master Hammond,

Once again exactly what I was looking for. Of course now that you’ve dropped it here I recognize it from my prior search. Didn’t connect the dots that this was still the preferred method. Many thanks.

Dave

I used this script in Rhino 7 for Mac but for some reason the trim function in the newly created popup menu does not work. It is deselecting the object you want to trim with and a window under the command line opens. Works fine in the default mode. Any idea? Did not have that in Rhino 6.
Many thanks

Martin

This has been SUPER helpful for me, thanks for sharing, however I am curious if there is a way to make the popup close upon clicking the command I want like it would normally do?

Go to Rhino Preferences -> Tool Palette -> Hiding tool palettes: Hide tool palettes when starting commands. However… the pop-up will reappear, which is very annoying. It wasn’t like this in V6, but they made some changes in V7…

Philip

thanks for the quick reply, hopefully it’s something they can fix in a future update

Yeah - and hopefully in V7…

Philip

1 Like

Can’t say how excited I was to find that after my software (beta) update yesterday, the Popup menu disappeared on the completion of some of the commands/buttons ( isolate and hide. I was so excited I came to this thread to let others know it the Popup re-appearring issue was fixed, but I tried several other commands and the popup menu still reappears. On further investigation, it seems as though it does not reappear after completing a few of the default popup commands (shade, hide, explode, join, and maybe a few others), but it does reappear after completing many other commands (move, trim, etc. whether default or modified). Also worth noting, any of the commands where the Popup buttons does not reappear after the command is completed will reappear if I undo that command (which I think makes sense). I was so excited for a minute there…

For anyone else that didn’t follow this discussion going on many different threads, the popup toolbar will stay hidden if you:
Navigate to Preferences > Advanced and make sure that Rhino.Options.Advanced.LeaveFloatingPanelsHiddenOnMac is set to true (enabled/checked).