Can anyone help me with this? (File Included)

Hi all,
I need some help on this, please take a look at the file. What I’m trying to do is fill these holes. It doesn’t matter they are Nurbs, Meshes or other formats. Thanks!

It’s a Dwg file since I exported from Maya. Rhino can handle this file smoothly, please open it in Rhino.
I appreciate your any help!

test.dwg (11.9 MB)

-Kev

Hi Kev,

This is a tricky one and the modeling technique needed will depend on what you need in the end. This will also be a manual process as I see it. The holes are not actually bordered by naked edges so the hole filling commands for meshes and surfaces wouldn’t help here. You could however draw interpolated curves through vertex Osnaps and use Patch. The result would not be one closed solid however if that’s what you need. I’m thinking that the best way to recreate this form without the holes is to draw the interpolated curves around all the object edges and use these to surface the entire form rather than fill the holes and then look to joining and/or continuity. In the end I think it would take less time to reverse engineer while skipping the holes.

Hi Brian,
That’s really helpful. Thanks A LOT!!!

-Kev

Kev, can you provide more detail, what do you mean by ‘fill’ exactly? I overall concur with Brian’s advice, but how exactly would you like to see the skin span those penetrations? Should it be double walled or could a single wall/planar surf closure be acceptable?

Hi Carvecream,

I’d like to have single surfaces filled in those holes. The surfaces will be glass material. It’s doesn’t matter water tight or not since I use it for only rendering purpose. Do you have other thoughts on this? Thanks!

Kev,
shellwindowcut.3dm (8.7 MB) I converted the mesh to polysurf, extracted one of the window portions, made a plane through my quick guess of the dividing point in the cutout, used rotate3d to adjust the plane slightly, then used the polysurf to trim away the outside.
This method keeps you from having to interpolate any of the openings.
Took only a minute or two. You could probly use this method for the whole model and have it done in two hours.

That model is messy with lots of self intersections, and a structure like that should not have issues like that. So you should clean it up in Maya prior to doing the relaxing of the mesh, or the subdivision, or whatever you did. What does the original shape look like? And I am sure you can extract the info you need from the base structure.

@carvecream @Holo First of all, Thanks for help!
Carvecream, the model looks great !

This is just a tiny part of my project I’m working on. What I’m trying to do in the end is first, Vector render in Maya; second, additional modeling in Rhino since all rest of models have done in Rhino.

I hope so but without enough meshes I won’t have the effect I’d like to see. I think I just give up modeling entire parts.

Thanks for helpful comments, all!

-Kev