Weird dimple in rendermesh

Hi, I have this weird shaded dimple along my surface edge, but the surface itself seems fine. There is some curvature showing that is not continuous but I don’t see how this resulted. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hello - please post a file with the object, I’ll take a look.’

-Pascal

it normally happen when you have 2 or more point rows on top each other, extract the surface and then, with select U or V points you should be able to delete some rows until it disapear.

I uploaded the file. Thanks!

Wonky surface.3dm (159.5 KB)

Diego, I turned points on and there are indeed lots of points right on top of each other (more or less, very small deviation). How do I “delete rows”?

Thanks!

Hello - if you change the render mesh settings in DocumentProperties > Mesh page to ‘Smooth and slower’ it cleans that up.

-Pascal

You’re the man! Thanks a lot!

Thanks Pascal, this didn’t seem to work for me…I changed the setting but nothing changed visually. :confused:

Hm- here’s what I see-

-Pascal

1 Like

Bizarre. I’ll play with it some more but it seems like Diego’s method of deleting the (essentially) overlapping points works well and might play well down the line if I transformed the object even more.

yes, that’s also tru but I think it is just to hide the issue not to solving it.
The row points on top of each other are very common despite what causes it, sometimes is visible and sometimes is not.
most of cases where I found this, are fillets, revolves or simply sweeps but I couldn’t reproduce it intentionally so far.

2 Likes

Yep, agree - deal with the underlying issue…

-Pascal

1 Like

This was part of a network surface that I made in four quadrants to end up with a sort of smooth claw shape. I then booleaned a swept circle to cut a semi-circular channel along the outside of the claw longitudinally. This surface is the tip of the claw and the end of that cut (which is why it has the semi-circle cut out of it on the top side).

I got the curves from an imported mesh object, though, and then intersected the mesh in 10 places to get circular curves. I rebuild those curves to smooth them out and then made the surfaces from those, so it wasn’t like I started with bad data.

Maybe in making the network surface I spec’d so many U-V lines it bunched some up at the edges? I didn’t feel like I was overloading it, though…

Curious!

EDIT: Actually this surface is a 360 rail revolve…

yes, you can improve the surface layout before joining it to others by rebuild. NetworksSrf make surfaces far more dense than is needed in most cases, unless you spend a bit of time to configure its tolerances and interior curves.
but I still recommend to rebuild, being automatically or manualy ( adding or deleting knots and row points.
then, once you have a clean surface with few points flowing on the shape, use Matchsrf.
In some cases _Makeperiodic could be a great help.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips!