Value List with input for the GH Style

I want to make GH Style Annotation with the input in the form of a Value List that will display Document Levels. The vanilla Value List GH component has no input. I don’t want to use List Item with the slider as a workaround, I need a clean solution. Am I missing something? If it’s not possible either McNeel should improve the Value List component or VisualARQ should have its own (less preferable, as this will increase the mess).

I want to select Levels (or use any other dynamic list) queried from the Rhino document

Hi @Czaja Unfortunately it is not possible to have a “dynamic” value list as an input parameter in Grasshopper styles. Something you could consider as a workaround is to have a Text input parameter, and type the level name you want to select.

In your GH definition, you should do the proper selection of the desired level by that level name.

Well, It’s a pity that it’s not possible. I’m looking for ways to make VisualARQ more user-friendly, especially for people who have no real BIM, Grasshopper, or scripting knowledge. They have already a lot to learn and seemingly little inconveniences like this one may overwhelm them.

I hope it won’t be too complicated to implement and it’s a feature wish of mine. Can you please consider it?

Yes, of course we will consider it! I wonder if you have some other example in mind besides having a dynamic list that shows the existing levels in the document.

In this particular, case I think that we (Asuni) are should implement this feature. In particular, I think that all Grasshopper input params should be supported, like (VisualARQ styles, level, building, block definition, etc). We currently support some of them (curve, brep, etc).

Yes, my question was about the generic dropdown list, what kind of data would populate that list is a secondary problem. Sometimes it could be strictly a VA thing and sometimes different data constructed by the VA GH Style author.
I’d imagine that one could have a list that would have dozens of entries, and then some quick search would be needed.

Well, maybe it’s not a “dynamic” list, but can be done. I have several definitions using lists as input values and it works:

Cheers, Jaro

edit: the yellow box content is a copied and pasted a CSV file

So you predefined your Value List picker, right? And if you need some new values you need to edit this style?

To clarify things I will post this screenshot.

Yes, exactly. That’s why it is a “pseudo dynamic” definition. I have processed the CSV file to get value list for the picker. Human solution would be perfect.
Cheers, Jaro