V-Ray tools / lighting tools

I’ve made some tools to make working with V-Ray more productive. reflectLight and moveLight don’t depend on V-Ray

Also I made a toolbar.

The RUI points at d:\scripts\VRay so if you want to store your scripts elsewhere, you will need to modify the toolbar.
vray-tools-rui

Please feel free to use, and hopefully give me some feedback for improvements.

Most is documented in the scripts. The tools are:

customRes: to set a custom resolution through command line. Useful to quickly set often used resolutions through a button (first toolbar icon uses this to set A4/A3 size)
changeRes : to scale a resolution by a factor. I use this often to switch the resolution to half or double size (second button uses this to either increase or decrease by factor 2)
swapRes : to swap x and y resolution (in other words toggle between portrait and landscape)

reflectLight: place a (rectangular) light by its reflection (this is in its infancy, because it will modify the distance to the object)
So therefore I also have this tool:
moveLight: move a light in the direction it is aimed at

note: The reflectLight tool will work for spots and for rectangular lights + it doesn’t alter the shape of the spotlight like _EditLightByHighlight does

you can download them here:

4 Likes

Hi Gijs,

thank you for sharing you tools. :slight_smile:

Do you have an idea why I get this message:

Error loading toolbar file “C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Extra 6\Gijs tools\Vray-Tools.rui”.

-Micha

I don’t know, but I realized I uploaded an old rui, can you try again?
Other than that there should be no major differences with the scripts I shared previously through Chaosgroup discourse.

It’s the same, the rui can’t be opened.

@Micha,

sorry, I don’t know why you get this error. There are a few threads here that are related to .rui files not loading, maybe these help? If I download the file it opens correctly here. Did you use the Clone or download button on github and then unzip the package?

I don’t see a download or close button, also there is no zip. I used the right mouse button context menu and downloaded file by file.

@micha Yes there is only a download link for all scripts in a repository it seems, so if you click on python you will see a download/clone button

1 Like

Great, I found it and now it works. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello @Gijs ,

The reflectLight cannot use for mesh surface objects, can you fix this? Now this is only use for nurbs surfaces.

@Alen_Russ yes I will look if that’s possible. Should be not to hard I suspect.

@Gijs Thank you very much.

@Alen_Russ this is now fixed :slight_smile:

Yes, it works well. Thanks

1 Like