Tuning Bison

I’m interested in the territorial analysis allowed by Bison (https://www.bison.la/) and in particular I’m considering the Slope component.
The application of the element as in documentation reverts nine slope classes linked to a colour scale: I don’t find the way to reduce the classes and define the the colors by myself.
myBison
Bison tells me on email:

Bison is designed to integrate landscape analytical tools into Grasshopper, as a result, it does not include robust tools for editing visualizations. The slope classes identified serve as a quick output for the legend, while the data itself is unclassified. The slope data output, however, gives you a list of individual values, which you can then use as you need with any other Grasshopper components, including generating new colors and classifying into bigger steps. Taking a look at mesh vertex color components in Grasshopper should point you in the right way.

Now: I tried to apply Mesh Vertex Color component after the Slope output mesh, but it doesn’t contain the parameters I’m looking for. Furthermore I can’t I can’t reduce the slope classes that come out of Slope.
I attach the files if anyone would be curious to tweak, but I guess you are in other busy business; could you be so kind to indicate a road allowing to remap the “Colors” parameter and the “Tags” parameter of the “Slope” component (you can see in the image), which both says “9 locally defined values”?
Thanks in advance
Stefano
Slope.gh (9.4 KB)
SlopeRidRh5.3dm (2.9 MB)

I don’t have bison, but you could achieve what you are describing with native GH components. This is setup I usually use for slope analysis. It allows the flexibility to set your own slope ranges and colors, (well, color gradient selection). Technically, you could do without the exploding of the mesh in the initial steps, but I’ve found that it performs a little better, on meshes with a higher face count, when you do.

SlopeAnalysis_Basic2_CH.gh (22.5 KB)

I hope to have time to explore your solution tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime thank you very very (very) much.
Stefano

@chanley, I would thank you again: your algorithm is exactly I need.
Unfortunately applying it on my mesh, the calculation stucks my pc, so I’ll try to simplify my mesh or divide it and analyse it in more pieces.
Once again, thanks a lot for your support.
Stefano

Hi Stefano,

You can also try Gismo’s “Legend Bake Parameters” component. It’s purpose is exactly that: modification of number of legend cells/rectangles, setting minimal/maximal threshold to the values, custom color scheme, custom number of colors etc.
Gismo generates terrain automatically based on defined latitude/longitude or address, but you can also analyse a custom terrain.
I attached an example below.
analyse_terrain.gh (86.6 KB)

Can you post the mesh that is failing? While the obvious is often the case, (an extremely high face count), sometimes if the mesh terrain is “facing down”, it can fail.

@chanley,
it’s not a failing: in a very simply way, I guess my system stucks in calculation.
There are 61000 points, .3dm is 63Mb, and mine pc it’s not a professional workstation. It’s not a problem to send my data: can I share with you through wetransfer or dropbox?

– edit in second time –
Chris, I’m so sorry: your algorhytm works in a wonderful way and I’m a silly stubborn. I moved my points from geographical site to origin (maybe this wasn’t really important, but I did it) but primarily I entered for analysis a squared surf, not my original mesh from delaunay triangle. Results it’s instantaneous.
Sorry for lost your time. I’m back to study :slight_smile:

Thanks again
Stefano

@djordje,
thanks a lot to you also. I’m going to studying your suggestion.
See you later! :slight_smile:
Stefano

glad it worked! Yeah, the distance from origin problem can certainly cause issues. In all fairness, that’s not just a Rhino problem, that issue comes up in other programs as well when you bring in “geo-located” points from something like civil 3D or some other geo-location aware program. There needs to be a mechanism to “translate” the relation ship between the 3d programs coordinate space, (origin 0,0,0 for example), and a set of geolocated points. In revit, for example, that is the survey point/project base point relationship. I don’t know of an equivalent mechanism in Rhino…

Thanks again for your precise definition; I will try to move CPlan origin in a point closer to geographical place, just to undestand the matter. And thank you also for advice about Revit: it’a unknow command for me and I’ll explore it for my culture.

All the best
Stefano

Two solutions, either use native GH components as shown by Chris Hanley or use Groundhog plugin (another Landscape Architectural plugin). The following example I’ll show you is I’m able to dictate slope tolerance and also cull mesh faces that exceed set maximum. As for this, all slopes exceeding 25% is culled and outlined by a magenta colored line.

Hi Chris. Thanks for this.

Im trying to do a slope gradient to establish which are buildable zones on 2 parcels of land.

Unfortunately i’m getting the following error using your script

“1. Data conversion failed from Mesh to Surface” (see attached)

Any ideas what’s wrong?

Maravi_Gradients.3dm (8.0 MB)

In your case, it looks like you are starting with a mesh, so you don’t need to convert from a surface to a mesh. Also, that example doesn’t automatically check to make sure the mesh normals are unified and facing “up”, (ie, you may need to flip your input mesh).

You can just input your starting mesh directly into the “explode mesh” component, (skip the Mesh Surface UV component).