The GH guitar

So I got commissioned by a friend to do a guitar with my CNC. And my choice of CAD is GH - reason I got the CNC in the first place. Long story short, I had no idea what i got into… But trying to do a pro job as possible, here are some pictures I made of this project so far. Started in March 2023.

The commission is for a Lespaul (no year given - but not a hollow body) - And at first impossible to find a perfect 3D model that is based on reality - so I started with a simpler model where I found the right plans - 1950’s style plans! Glad I took Industrial design drafting 101 (35 years ago!)

Anyway the program evolved and later added option to change the body, the neck, the head, fret scales and insets, etc etc etc… And all CNC friendly…

The hardest part to do was the neck…

Hope you like it… AMA

41 Likes

its looks amazing :smiley: nice work

Thanks very much! Still lots of work to be done!

Thanks very much - An enthusiastic comment like that goes a long way!!!

Project is in temporary stasis - It could go really far but time and budget - let alone find the right “wood type” to wood type tolerances for the cnc once ready (will the tone be right) - so research is still needed to get it as right as possible before we start Chopin wood (pun intended).

2 Likes

Hi @xavier.bury
Nice work thanks for posting.

I don’t think tone woods matter to an electric guitar but to each his own.

But the thing I would use GH for besides the machining is to find the balance point on the guitar. The hardest thing that players don’t understand is that the balance of holding the guitar is the thing that makes a great player. For electrics the most balanced guitar is the Gibson firebird notice when you place it on your knee it remains perfectly balanced and does not move. All others are a trade off on that some are so poorly balanced that they move all over the place and drop to the floor when not held with the left hand this makes playing inaccurate. Notice how hard it is to balance a lute and what players have to go through to balance it to make it playable. This is a secret even most players or makers don’t address.

Wishing you well on your building adventures.
RM

2 Likes

Hello,

Nice work. I think GH can be a good choice for shape modelling too.
I’ve started to do that after several years of parametric CADs, combining the tool with Rhino’s Nurbs and SubD. It needs some improvements, since it lacks some Rhino surface modelling commands, but nothing that cannot be achieved.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks 3DSynergy.

I’m aware of the balance issues but your reminder is really appreciated - modeling weight balance is still something I will have to do and I can’t model weight before first cutting the shapes and weighting them and then estimate estimate weight per wood type for the final build!

I deep-researched guitar making for 3-4 months plus a long talk with a guitar maker. I will try to make the first models as simple as a telecaster.

Hi @xavier.bury
Wishing you well on your project.
Don’t want to clog your gallery post. I’m working on a 12 string lute synthesizer that can be tuned in both baroque and regular guitar tuning with a bent back lute neck and getting the balance right is really tricky.
I’ll post on a separate thread as I’m working on using Gh to find the balance point/s.
RM

2 Likes

Really nice to see there’s others in the same boat :slight_smile:

My shop is not equiped for guitar building yet. But how hard can it be?

The lack of subD control in GH is definitely an issue. Takes a little out of the box thinking sometimes.

This is a great design issue that has to be planned from the beginning or reiterated (but costly).

Balance preferences, whether you’re playing a Balalaika, or a cigar box will come from a real player… This program can grow and grow - so factoring changes of shapes, guitar style, etc this is going to be a GH file per client - which requires kind of a guitar OS… (my head is churning)…

And i found a ‘great’ EU based guitar parts distributor. Options galore now!

The project was kind of stalling since 3 months - but found out how easy it is to rout, install and tune trustrods so… Got a gentleman’s agreement with the client-friend (no deadline!) I’ll be back soon with new GH blocks.

But first before more options and confusions - let’s build a guitar! Next challenge: where can I find cheap 5cm thick 500x400mm blocks?

For those interested -

• Selo i Ludy, a Ukrainian folk band, utilises the balalaika.
  • The instrument makes a brief appearance in Charlie Chaplin’s 1931 film City Lights.
  • The Beatles’ song “Back in the U.S.S.R.” includes the lyric “let me hear your balalaikas ringing out”.
  • Wind of Change” by Scorpions includes the lyric "let your balalaika sing what my guitar wants to say ".
  • The balalaika is played in “Boris the Blade Theme” from the 2000 comedy crime film Snatch directed by Guy Ritchie.
  • It is featured in the soundtrack of Furious (2017 film)

Try Flexibility plugin to manage SubDs into GH.
For SubDs manipulation I think it needs to be direct into Rhino, by its nature.

Thanks… I started to work on a different approach to the neck interface…

Still a lot of options to explore. The lofted version works and the subD doesn’t overdo it. But there is almost no game-play between what works and next level corners/creases with GH. Any good tutorials out there?

It’s looks good, but isn’t that a Telecaster/Broadcaster/Nocaster?

1 Like

Thanks Brenda, it’s a mix of different guitar types. The script was made to create a Telecaster at first.

1 Like

Phew!

So a bit of news… Lots of updates to this program, design, learned a LOT about guitar building…

Took 30 minutes to design and position the tuners…

Because different tuners are not all with screws, some have pegs in different places… All the plans/drafts i found for pickups are different - 1mm difference in size or screw position is a big deal for the cnc precuts and fit of the pickups - Not to mention my measurements of the body’s bridge position is based on the wrong ‘point’… so a new version needed to reposition all body cavities - although im still wondering it this is really needed (sound wise).

The program is now getting really big! So the tuners were wrapped in a container and I used “move to point” to have them right - orienting them right was next - put it into the container or separate? Well if you switch to Lespaul type head stocks, the orientation is completely different - so design issue.

I also added the CNC block part to automate woodblock-part (double sided) so that all are aligned to the center top of the block and the CNC can do it’s work top and bottom with the least amount of work. Alas each iteration of the model requires a new selection of curve since they don’t match those from the previous iteration.

I’m still working on the assumption of a solid body telecaster, but I’m starting to think about adding cavities and doing a 2 part body which will have the advantage of having the wire channels and ‘resonant cavities’ (as much as that could help an electric guitar - waiting for a talk about that soon with a real luthier).

This seems like a simple process. It is. But the details within can really expand the amount of GH modules needed.

One part that became extra comple for example is how you choose different body shapes, headstocks, scales, neck profiles, fret radius/sizes, etc. And you feel how each new modification can slow down the model. Which shouldn’t be an issue. There are lots of solid to solid intersections done. For sure!

Modeling the guitar or pickup wire/strings will be fun! But before that I have to make sure the guitar can be carved such that each part is ‘right’. My next challenge is the trussrod. Not the hardest challenge but there’s little to no plans on how to do this… Plus 3+ different types of trussrods… Also I have to add fret sizes into the program - simulate how to CNC those slots without breaking .3 mm mills… A jig+saw might be wiser…

The devil is in the details! When I see the quality of the inlays in the picture below, I’m astounded anyone would buy this guitar. Must have sounded really good!

1 Like

New part made for the Frankencaster Guitar

A classic telecaster bridge plate (just received this part, start with basics, and as expected some holes are not always in the same places. This is important because it’s the other end of the string’s tension are very important regarding the tonality of each string. The strings must align with the nut on the other side of the guitar’s neck, etc.

At this point, I am in quite a quagmire because I made a major mistake in my GH program. The reason is because I followed the draft putting every component’s placement based on the ‘fixed’ quotes/measurements in this plan. I didn’t know about this Phytagoras scale… Not a huge issue, it’s a delta based on the guitar’s middle end of the body. So hopping my sizing (from the same plan) for the next is ok, it might work, but I should remeasure everything with this new rule i found. Just in case.

Always measure twice before you cut! There is some leeway with the adjustable bridge for electric guitars but I haven’t learned that part yet… Learning part by part.

bb9b3e986dd4ca20b5f4ae1fd9bf1f67
(from programming - Drawing an accurate guitar fretboard with TikZ - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange)

1 Like

Nice Job and yes sir the neck volute can be tricky! Here’s one I did as a reverse engineer practice of my ‘69’ Jazz bass using Rhino5 I cnc milled it in individual l parts and assembled. MOP inlays, 14kt gold frets did it as a two piece neck back side white wood fretboard rosewood

7 Likes

damn! How does it play?

That’s a great idea for reducing costs in prototyping too… :slight_smile: Do it kid scale!

1 Like