Surfacing... just a nightmare

What’s better: Alias or Rhino?

3 Likes

Car design explained by @TomTom. Ok.

I’m not explaining car design. I’m just saying that there is a lot more to it then sketching and sculpting shapes. I don’t get your undertone. What is your reference? Maybe at the place where you work people do it differently or you indeed live in a bubble. I mean its not that I haven’t met designer with narcissistic personality disorder, indeed believing what they do is the only true work, the others are just “surfacing” it… That’s actually one of the reason why I left car design.

5 Likes

permanent ban!!

2 Likes

Arhimocrewrks

Are you saying here that a curve cannot have G2 continuity to a straight line?

1 Like

Yes. The same with G3 matching to plane curve for obvious reasons.

@oliver.jans There are one or more fundamental mistakes in your understanding of curvature and of geometric continuity, or one or more mistakes in the logic which lead to these conclusions, or both.

Attached is a very simple example of a curve which has G2 continuity with a straight line. G2 Example.3dm (38.6 KB)

1 Like

It is literally not possible for you to be more incorrect, and I’m not abusing the word literally here.

4 Likes

All I perceive is tangency.

Well then boy, show me.

Boy?

Girl?

Okay I’ve had enough, good luck

5 Likes

Which version should I get?

The more it costs, the better, right?

I hear Autostudio is the best; the math is more better than Rhino’s. But it looks like it’s out of stock. No prices. Too much demand maybe?

2 Likes

@gustojunk hello. Email me.

oliver.jans@icloud.com

Must be in high demand!! :blush:

You are wrong
this is considered as a G4 continuity
due to the identical double radius on both curves

IN THE CASE OF A RIGHT CURVES. I THINK THAT RHINO CALCULATES THE TWO KNOTS. THEN IT VIRTUALLY ADDS ANOTHER POINT ON THE SAME VECTOR OF THE CURVE TO FINISH THE CALCULATION.

ANOTHER WAY RHINO CHANGES THE DEGREE OF THE LINE TOMPORARILY DURING THE EXECUTION OF THE MATCH COMMAND

@fares.boulamaali ive explained all that. have u read previous replies?

whatever rhino does, from math point of view, not consistent. many designers are used to build from automatic tools and think they are done, because of their absence of knowledge to judge.

if u are really interested in learning geometric continuities, then forget about Mcneel’s Rhino and consider reading maths from trusted sources.

@oliver.jans Perhaps you might read this: https://www.math24.net/curvature-plane-curves/#:~:text=Let%20a%20plane%20curve%20C,radius%20vector%20r(t).&text=The%20curvature%20of%20the%20curve,average%20curvature%20of%20the%20curve.
Note that the value of curvature can be calculated directly without calculating radius.

Then calculate the curvature the following example of two curves at s=0:
x=s, y=0, z=0 for -1< s<= 0
x=s, y=s^3, z= 0 for 0<=s<1
The curvature of both curves is exactly zero at s=0. G2 continuity between a curve and a straight line, contrary to the claim you have made several times above. Your claim that a curve and a straight line cannot be G2 continuous implies a fundamental misunderstanding on your part of the concepts of curvature and geometric continuity.

4 Likes