Surfacing... just a nightmare

s

As it turns out…

YOU CANNOT MERGE TRIMMED SURFACES… so now I have to rebuild all my trimmed surfaces from the curves of the trimmed surface edge I guess…

I am working on an object that has about 10 surfaces, 2 or 3 that are trimmed in complex ways. The resulting model must have NO NAKED edges for calculations like VOLUME:

u

The underlying geometry has tangential requirements for some edges but not for others. In the real world, the welder will join allthese edges since they are close enough. Tolerance is set very small because the calculations for tangency require this. Unfortunately this obviates the MERGE command.

Join will succeed, but there are still naked edges. Whats needed is FILL GAPS command that just filles in all the holes (which are at the sub mm level) with some rudimentary “just get it done” surfacing and thus removes the naked edges.

Going back through the modelling to get surfaces to be adjacent down to the tolerance, is akin to the last 2% of any project taking as long as the first 98%. Its impractical and not a good use of recources.