Surface Oddity

In the attached, I am fixing a shell that does not turn out solid.

I have extracted the problem area and started to manually repair (LEFT), leaving one gap at this poiint.

At the center I have tried to do EDGESRF on the opening. When I join I get a bad surface.

At the left, I have taken advantage of the symmetry and have done LOFT from the sides. That joins without an error

Problem Surface.3dm.zip (224.2 KB)

turn on isocurves (properties window)
the bottom surface is planar within document tolerance - build it like this - including the gab-area.
_planarSrf
_cap
can do this job.

for the curved surface inside the rectangle - build it as an trimmed extrude - avoid those pointy - collapsed edge faces.

my guess: both points above will help for better _offsetSrf and _shell

The bottom of the original was created using cap. This s just the offset created by Rhino (except for the three bottom surfaces). The entire bottom, including the “planar” surface, created by shell were caca. So I extracted all three and deleted and was trying to patch the hole when I encountered this oddiy.

Let me add another oddity here. The solid here take several steps.
Loft/Cap
Intersect
Fillet
Intersect
WireCut
Now shell.

The result will shell without error IF and ONLY IF I do a ShrinkTrimmedSrf at every step.

Loft/Cap
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
Intersect
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
Fillet
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
Intersect
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
WireCut
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
Shell. ! WORKS

On the other hand

Loft/Cap
Intersect
Fillet
Intersect
WireCut
ShrinkTrimmedSrf
Shell ! FAILS

How can we help ?
Is this a bug report ?

can you please specify the differences of the 3 surface-clusters in your file more precisely:

• what are the difference in making them?
  • where is the input surface before offset / shell ? (did I miss it ? it s not in the file ?)
  • what is the offset / shell distance ?

maybe use _text _dot or other annotations in the rhinofile to link your question to it.

did you check document tolerance compared to size of details and offset ?
did you check edge tolerance ?
→ seams ok
Edge Tolerances: 0.0000 to 0.0008
median = 0.0001 average = 0.0002

not sure what exactly is the difference between the 2 worksflows above (ShrinkTrimSrf many times / once) - are the results in the document ?
_explode
_untrimAll
to compare them ?