Sun responsive facade

Why don’t you start with something simple like vertical louvers that track the sun? You can move on to more complex patterns from there.

I created a way that your shading responds to the sunvector.
Just check if this what you had in mind: final_ME.gh (417.3 KB)

If it actually works as a shading device is questionable.

I’m terribly sorry but you’re the second person today who seems to think I’m obligated to be your personal tutor, proof reading everything you write or refer me to, correcting errors, etc. I’m not. There are plenty of examples of this sort of code on the forum. I’ll say no more, sorry.

Hi,
Yes, i have gone through it but in this case ladybug-radiation analysis is used but i want to use ladybug- sun path.

Did you actually check the file I posted three posts above?
Your initial shading device design tracks the sun’s direction and adjusts itself.

Hi
Thanks a million for your time.
When i opened the file this message appeared, should i update my grasshopper?

Do you use Rhino 5?
I have used Rhino 6; the missing component are standard for Rhino 6.

Yes, i use rhino 5. I have downloaded pancake and trying to downgrade your gh definition.

I opened the file and going through it.
Thanks a lot

Hi
Thanks a lot, it is exactly what i was asking for. Thanksssss
But i couldn’t understand this part, can you please explain what happened here?
I know dot product is defined as a*b=|a||b|cos(alpha) and you have computed dot product between two vectors but i do not understand why should we use dot product.

• in this definition a facade panel has a normal vector; the panel is facing outward (direction of the normal)
  • there is a sun vector (the same vector for each panel)
    I’ve used the vector display for both type of vectors to visualize them

Because both vectors are unit vectors the dot product gives values between -1 and 1:

• if the dot product is 0 the vectors are othogonal (meaning that the sunvector coincides with the panel itself) meaning no direct irradiation from the sun.
  • if the dot product is -1 or 1 the vectors are parallel; but in the case of -1 the directions are opposite and 1 if directions coincide.
  • in the case of -1: full irradiation of the panel (from the exterior)
  • In the case of 1: full irradiation from the interior

Because your definition uses a parameter to evaluate a curve that controls if your device opens or closes (0 fully open (no sunshine on the panel) and 1 fully closed (sunshine right in the face)), the dot product values are multiplied by -1 in orde to use the dot vector to control the closedness of the shading device.

after multiplication all the values that are smaller than 0 means that the sun shines on the interior side of the panel: these values If have replaced by 0 (that’s what the member index and replace items are for).

I hope that this a clear explanation.

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive explanation.
Now i understand how you did it and i would never be able to do it alone without your help.
Thanks a lot