Sporph (hexagon grid on subD surface (Rhino))

Hi!
As was suggested to me in another post by @inno, I am using Sporph to place the grid on the surface I have.

I created a particular hexagonal grid and I’m trying to place it on this subD created with Rhino, but it shows just 1 part of the grid (circumferences)… can you explain me why?
I don’t know if the problem is the creation of the BBox around the grid… I used a rectangle, but i don’t know how can I do to create a box with the same size of the grid.
Thank you!

model_subD.3dm (778.0 KB)
model_hex_grid.gh (23.4 KB)

!

1 Like

Is your SubD model asymmetric on purpose?

1 Like

I modified/modeled geometry many times, but it should be symmetrical. Is it a reason that affect my problem with the representation of the grid?

1 Like

For the sake of exploring, here’s a different approach for a +/- hexagonal subdivision on a helmet. I baked the SubD and moved one edge loop on the perimeter of the helmet.

The definition requires Weaverbird to thicken the mesh.

The initial SubD was asymmetrical and I did not change that.

The problem with your Sporph approach is that your helmet surface is not rectangular like your planar representation. This will never lead to the result you are looking for. Furthermore boolean subtraction of many surfaces can be time consuming. I’d suggest some sort of a mesh based work flow.

2 Likes

hex_helmet.gh (36.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, but I still have doubts. I need the hexagonal structure with circles that I drew, with the proportion that I created. Before you send me the file I tried with a helmet without subD , but with mesh thinking I have more linear polygonal structures and I modified the structure to obtain a symmetric helmet (photo); now i’m trying to change what you sent me trying to insert the structure I want, but nothing.

I don’t understand what you mean when you say ‘helmet surface is not rectangular like your planar representation’ … I intended the ‘sporph’ command as a command that adapts the structure to the surface where you want to insert it; for example, in the link that I put in the first message about another discussion, the structure was a hexagonal grid on a curved surface given by the revolution of an ellipse … even there there was no correspondence between target surface and box. I don’t know if I’m saying correctly

1 Like

Well you see on your first post how the division isn’t nice. Attached is an example with the Surface Morph command. I only did it for one surface of your helmet. It has 40 surfaces and the seams will not look nice if you do this with a sporph workflow. The biggest problem is on the corners where you have 4-sided meshes but basically 3-sided surface. Your hexagonal structure will be sqewed.

Beetle_structure_grid_on_one surface_of_your_helmet.gh (28.2 KB)

Ou can also create a hexagonal mesh on your helmet with Kangaroo. But it takes some patience to get the inputs and values right for the desired output.

hex_panels.gh (69.6 KB)

The file is from another forum post I answered and I adapted it rather quickly. Not all kangaroo goals might be required.

1 Like

I will try both ways! Your advicesare really useful!
Thank you very much

You can remove some of the hexagonal cells of the base “mesh”… as mentioned, it is a tedious process.

Slightly different subdivision:

hex_panels.gh (79.6 KB)

Hi @martinsiegrist and @giorgiapro,

I am working on a similar project where I want to design a custom-fit helmet. I’ve followed your work but for some reason, I can’t get my structure attached to all my SubD surfaces. If I execute it for one individual surface, it works perfectly (see figure 1 with grasshopper model from figure 4) however, when I try to select multiple surfaces it doesn’t work (see figure 2 with grasshopper model from figure 3). Do you have any idea why it doesn’t work out for me?

Many thanks!!

Wixxix

Your tree structure needs to be fixed. Post a Grasshopper file with the inputs internalized please.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply! I’ve attached my GH file unfortunately, I can’t upload my rhino file as it is too big.
MOM.gh (34.4 KB)

You failed to internalize the inputs…

I took my SubD helmet from the post above and instead of your triangles I used a small box. See the difference? The surface input needs to be grafted.

PS: you may want to delete the other topic you created for this issue.

Hi Martin,

You are right about the duplicated topic, it’s already removed. I’ve updated the GH file by internalizing the inputs and grafted the input at the SrfMorph. It looks okay right now however, another thing I was wondering about is how to create one uniform pattern. The current setup creates individual sections but I want to create one uniform helmet.
MOM v2.gh (165.5 KB)

Wixxix

I’m not exactly sure what you mean with one uniform helmet.

Maybe morphing geometry onto “square” surfaces is not the best way and you might want to TriRemesh the helmet and manipulate the mesh cells… Below is another approach…

By uniform, I mean that it is one whole (all different sections are connected to each other). As you can see in the first picture you’ve uploaded. They are all in random directions and are not connected to each other. The other solution you suggested is very nice however, the created geometry is an origami-inspired absorbing structure so it will lose its functionality if created as in the pink helmet.

got it…

Are you planning on water jet cutting Koroyd or something similar and then bend the panels into 3D objects or is the whole thing going to be 3D printed?

Eventually, the goal is to 3D print it so I was already thinking about other possibilities such as printing the individual sections on a thin surface to keep them together. Another possibility would be to print the whole as a ‘flatten’ and print it with flexible material whereafter it can be bent around the head or in a mould. However, I personally think that the best way is to print it as one whole helmet to assure the custom-fit shape and ease of printing.

It is impossible to have all quads aligned the same way.