[SOLUTION] Grasshopper1 Sweep2 makes the surface in opposite side

DESCRIPTION
I created a Sweep 2 surface using one Rhino curve and two arc as rails. I substitute the arcs with other two Rhino curves in the same place of the Grasshopper arcs. actual: The surface was build up in the opposite side (as if a mirror was applied). expected: That the red surface was in the same place as the arc construction red surface was. also If I move the points of the curves (rails) the surface is not following in the correct way the shape of the curve.

SOLUTION
I need to rotate the rhino curves.

Dear David Rutten, if is not a known bug and you need STEPS and better bug report let me know.

@DavidRutten

Hi Alan -

I don’t see any red surface. A file would be nice.
-wim

1 Like

DESCRIPTION
I created a Sweep 2 surface using one Rhino curve and two arc as rails. I substitute the arcs with other two Rhino curves in the same place of the Grasshopper arcs. The surface was build up in the opposite side (as if a mirror was applied). That the red surface was in the same place as the arc construction red surface was. also If I move the points of the curves (rails) the surface is not following in the correct way the shape of the curve.

SETUP

RHINO FILE
15 Grasshopper Sweep2.rar

EXPECTED
That the red surface was in the same place as the arc construction red surface was.
That the surface is build-up following the build curve direction

ACTUAL
The surface was build up in the opposite side (as if a mirror was applied).
I need to rotate the rhino curves.
If I move the points of the curves (rails) the surface is not.

ENVIRONMENT
Rhino 6 SR29 (6.29.20238.11501, 08/25/2020)
Grasshopper 1 .0.0007
Windows 10 64

Why is this file compressed as .rar for a few input curves?

Because I do not know if there is a limited of enclosed links that usually is 3 or 5
Sweep2 Bug.3dm (33.9 KB)
Sweep2Bug.gh (5.0 KB)
I remember reporting this bug and I presume is a UV curve direction setup

And then please internalize your inputs!

1 Like

Your rails are actually the sections

Hello Martin,
No, my arc are my rails and my one section is my section.
can you expand?
Thx Alan

Check out your curve direction, blue dots are the start points.

I moved the curves away from each other for display purpose

1 Like

This is not a bug, it’s your fault.

2 Likes

Yes, I can imagine is a curve direction problem.
Rotating the curve works fins
And Probably flipping the curve too?
It feels like a UI bug or less intuitive for beginners.

If I build the curve in the correct direction for prototyping, I’m expecting that Sweep2 is smart to understand that.
EDIT: I was not creating the curve in the correct direction

As you can see above, I flipped your second set of input curves which wasn’t plugged in. It works fine

Hit the solution button please and rename the title this is not a bug

your two sets of curves have opposing directions

1 Like

Ok, Thanks, I get that. Grashopper2 UI: And if a message pops up or in documentation to the user to alert to invert the curve direction when the surface is not draw attached to the curve?

What your asking for is literally like when someone is putting a drillbit in a drill, then the drill would beep and say: if you want a hole, make me drill clockwise.

For my part I appreciate what I can achieve in Rhino and I really don’t think every little thing can be made idiot proof.

Maybe. Use other software or hire a professional.

Sorry!

Martin, Turns out that you were correct. I apology for this bug report. I was convince that I was making the curve correctly, starting the curve correctly, and building it with the correct direction. Turns out I was having a difficult time when I was doing this (1yr old walking over my desk) and my double-check fail. Apology for your time and thanks.

Trying to improve this side, because often reuse old curves Or pick up often old projects.
I was thinking and probably you have a much better idea:
It can be handy if there is a sort of direction visual feedback indicator for the curve. Stat-end indicators when visualizing the curve. I mean real-time to avoid double-cheek testing.

My Apology for my stupid bug report.

All good, sorry for being a bit harsh maybe?

I’ve been generating a lot of curve direction dependent cnc fabrication data recently…

A quick, really visual solution in Grasshopper are curve frames and cones on each curve frame.

1 Like