Single line continuous Art

awesome, very very inspirational!
looks like you’re building the first layers of a neural network, I’m very curious to see any result you’d be willing to share in the future!
by the way, they told me voronoi is like lsd: not completely wrong, just don’t get addicted :wink:

@laurent_delrieu the Extreme Algorithms link you provided contains what will become my next 2 months of life! thank you so much!

all these are very valuable learning opportunities for who -like me- comes from a “not very computational” background!

No … I’m building the first layer of dollars (if that rather absurd project gets the green light - it shouldn’t due to elementary common sense). And fear not: I hate Voronoi so much that I barely can imagine doing any Voronoi thingy in the next 20 years.

BTW: All these are easy … the big thing is the knitting C# option (you know what I mean: connect pins in a circle with a single thread etc etc). Let’s say that we have 2000 circular “pins” in this plaza. For each location we test, say 1500 candidate lines and sort them according their pixel/pts/whatever match score [doing this randomly makes no difference at all since we MUST pick the best match line]. So for 2000 iterations we have around 4M Method calls (where Method is the thing that evaluates the line and returns the score). If the Method takes 0.1ms then the Elapsed could be around the 4K ms mark (out of question). So the challenge is a Method that cuts the mustard in ~0.01 ms (400 ms) or less. Implementing a thread safe // lines evaluation (per pin) and using a proper 32 core I9 K … well … one could hope for 50 to 100 ms (cross fingers).

BTW: BEFORE spending 2 months on this (or that) read this 100 times:

Moral: life sucks

1 Like

to stay on the safe side I have just bought the whole book :slight_smile:
pretty sure -after having methabolized the first TWENTY chapters- the threading part will be much more understandeable to me :+1:

You mean the Dark Side I guess. But remember: power corrupts while absolute power corrupts absolutely > meaning that the more things you can do the less things you should do (viewed this way the whole parametric thingy in AEC [with regard topology/geometry matters] … er … hmm … you guess my message I do hope).

In the mean time I have a challenge for you: the notorious Image knitting thingy in a couple of milliseconds. Impossible you may think (people in Internet talk about big times blah blah).

So … I could provide an indicative approach on the candidate line score issue that (on a pathetic I5) takes ~0.5 milliseconds. Obviously no // is possible for that part (but a thread safe // is critical for evaluating every candidate).

Your goal would be to do some tweeks here and there (every if counts) in order to achieve an elapsed time “around” the 0.01 millisecond threshold (on some I9 K) and then … implement the Method in the main knitting algo (but that’s the easy part). This means that solving any problem is nothing … but solving it fast is everything.

For instance (irrelevant with the actual challenge) you can achive ~5-10 faster times just by creating your nodes (knitting pins) the proper way:

On the captured “tutorial” there’s - on purpose - 6 topics that require some “equivalent” with the above division proper approach … so the 0.01 ms mark is entirely realistic.

Notify if you feel brave enough.