Section X Y or A B type

Yes! :smiley:

I like SnagIt. It’s not free, but it’s not expensive either. Use the TechSmith Fuse app on your phone, and you can take a picture and send it directly into SnagIt.

Native in Windows (since Vista) there is the “Snipping tool”. Allows you to capture a window, rectangular or freeform portion of the screen. There are also a couple of (very) primitive markup tools… It has an automatic “Copy to clipboard” option, so just select your screen portion and Ctrl+V direct into Discourse.

Now look what I’ve done - thrown the thread completely OT. My bad. Apologies Dan. Can we get back ON topic now? :smile: - it’s interesting!

After doing a lot of Googling today I found out two things. One, it’s pretty much universally accepted that the section line with arrows is a phantom line. The other thing I discovered is that there is very little evidence that a break line is required with a stepped section. I didn’t see any mention of it, and where I did see illustrations depicting a stepped section, there were no break lines.

So I think it makes more sense to leave them out, and if the user wants to add them, they can do so manually.

So here is where it is at right now:

That’s really neat Dan. Three questions:

Do you have to preset the hatch type, scaling and rotation for each object, or is that done automatically?

Is there any way to show what’s ‘beyond’ the section plane? I know that’s a tough ask.

Can the resulting sections be saved out as DXF/DWG?

It’s only applying “Hatch1” but the angles and scale are randomly generated within reasonable limits to provide a difference. I also try to stagger the direction for mating parts. Of course, the user will most likely tweak these, so I didn’t group them with the rest of the section. There is an option not to show hatches too.

I don’t know how I would show what’s behind. This is a true section. It’s only curves. In other products, sections are illustrated as curves, but still contain the object. That’s why 2D in a lot of products is so bloated. It’s not really 2D! I don’t have the smarts to take this much further.

I suppose the sections could be exported. They are on a separate layer (I guess I failed to show that) so that layer could be exported. I don’t think I would build that into the script as it’s easily done outside the script.

Thanks for the feedback. If I had the time and the brains, I could probably make this even better, but I’m a little short on both. :smile:

It looks great. My query about export was more whether the output was exportable (i.e. curves & hatches) rather than exported. In other words, not a Display mode ‘trick’.

Hi Dan,
It looks great. Even if it isn’t the “official” way of doing things, I think break lines or slightly staggering the hatch makes it easier for me to read the section drawing. Otherwise you have to extrapolate the section line over to the section drawing.

No tricks here. Just simple curves.

If anyone wants to give this a try, here it is. I’ve included a simple template for loading the linetype. You can import it into your template file, delete the “default” layer that appears, and re-save your template…

…or if you already have a “phantom” linetype, then just skip that step.

I’ve also included a “SectionLines” command for just creating the section line with arrows without actually cutting the section.

SuperSection (69.7 KB)

Let me know if you find a scenario where it doesn’t work as expected.

Jogged Section?
Drafting and 2d drawings - Section View and Related Callout

The answer would be very. A lot of my work is millwork for architectural interiors and your tool would be immediately useful.

Just installed and started playing with it. This is going to be great. Simple things - like creating it’s own layer for the section data so it can be easily turned on and off are really well thought out.

(Mikolaj Jarski) #34

Very useful and simple. Thanks!

Glad to see my quest for simply wanting to create annotation A B section has seen this thread develop, Looks very useful.
PC went dead on me, (one of the 4 memory sticks developed an error and HD caddy likewise, real nasty one to spot !) so I missed this until now, and 12 hrs of engineers fix time :frowning:

back to my need though, what is best way of creating two arrowed section line A- B ?

Hi Steve, you can do all these functions with VisualARQ. Create section lines (including jogged sections), determine a direction, depth and a text for the section line, and later on create a section drawing of the model sectioned, including the projection of the objects in the background. You can also assign section attributes (line weights, hatch patterns, hatch color, rotation, etc) to any Rhino geometry, for display and printing purposes. This video shows how it works:
These commands are aimed to architectural projects, but they can be used for mechanical models too.

I just found this thread by mistake, but had JUST been wondering about section lines and lettering, b/c while the Section Tools plugin is fantastic, it seems to not have the option to create the section lines in a standard way.

EDIT: I haven’t been able to make this work. ANyone still using this?

We use it here all the time. What do you mean by “standard way”?

Just meant the way “SectionLines” in super sections looks (Letter w/ Arrow … section line… Arrow to Letter) for the layout page.

Do you use SuperSection any more or just Section plugin?

I don’t personally, but many others in the company use it daily. I haven’t heard any complaints about it for at least a year.