ScriptEditor - Python syntax color scheme

EditPythonScript and ScriptEditor have different color schemes -

EditPythonScript:

ScriptEditor:

But neither of them have any way to change the syntax highlighting…

And here is Discourse (Python):

"This is a string"
my_variable
#this is a comment
True,False
def ThisIsAFunction():

Now, there doesn’t seem to be any consensus on any sort of ‘standard’ color scheme. All the more argument for giving us the possibility to edit the schemes like most of the Notepad++ style editors do.

Personally I’m really not fond of ScriptEditor’s use of the same green color for numbers as for comments… Comments should really be a unique color (IMO).

2 Likes

This is also one of the first things that struck me when the new editor was first added. I’ve been meaning to elaborate upon what I first posted back here:

More specifically, these bits that got lost in the many issues that topic ended up covering:

As far as I understand the new editor is built on Monaco, so it probably shouldn’t be too difficult to provide customisation support. That said, I agree it would be nice if the new editor would simply adopt the syntax highlighting of the old editor as its default light mode colour/text style scheme. Including bold keywords, duplicate highlighting and the stronger/more legible font rendering (for lack of a better/more technical word).

@Alain Is is possible to open up syntax highlight colouring api so I can match it to legacy editor?

1 Like

Hi,
Anything is possible :slightly_smiling_face:, just a matter of priority.
I don’t think that the defaults are that bad (they match some of the vscode themes) but I agree that they could be improved.
RH-81300
RH-81301

2 Likes