RTX 2070 Super not listed in Cycles/Opitx in Rhino 7 WIP

Hello,

I’m not to be able to utilize RTX support in Rhino 7 WIP. What could be the reason for my RTX 2070 Super not being listed in Optix tab? Rhino 7.0.20252.11325, Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18363 Build 18363), driver 452.06 (studio).

Best

I won’t be able to help for real, but please use the SystemInfo command, copy all and post here, so when the real help comes they can be more helpful for sure

The tab is there for future support. I am working on getting it actually enabled.

1 Like

Oh, hadn’t noticed the Optix tab yet. Hope it’s coming soon. The only reason to get an 2070Super was because of the render performance that Optix brings in Blender and therefore promises show up in rhino-cycles as well.
Also the fact that AMD support for rhino-cycles is simply broke (or was never seriously wired up) basically forced me to switch.

Thanks for the explanation. Then I must have misunderstood the statement from “Major rendering upgrade” Sep. announcement: “Modern GPU support, including NVIDIA’s RTX raytracing accelerators”. Saw the tab and connected the dots. :slight_smile:
Any ETA reg Optix support?

“Soon” ™. The major rendering upgrade means Cycles now also powers Rhino Render, not just Raytraced. The idea is to have it in before official release :slight_smile:

How soon would that be?
One month? Two months?

When it is ready, obviously! But it is definitely closer by than 2 years ago.

That sounds like we should better forget about optix support any time soon. all just teasing and beta forever when it comes to rhino-cycles :frowning:

Your words, not mine.

Understood, thanks! Will be looking into that tab after each upgrade. :slightly_smiling_face:

You may want to check the tab again

2 Likes

Hi @nathanletwory
I’m getting an immediate freeze here when trying to use Optix instead of CUDA. Viewports are still active and I can execute commands, but I can’t go back to shaded (or any other view mode). Windows eventually pops up the “Server busy” dialog, and I have to kill Rhino from the task manager. Sysinfo below.
-Jakob

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-9-22 (Rhino WIP, 7.0.20266.15205, Git hash:master @ bdd59bed042c78c1a0b1b28b924b4abe7d6c0d8e)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-09-22
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-11-06

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 95Gb)

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 8-12-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 452.06

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-12-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5206
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\jn\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.1\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.1.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

The very first time Cycles is compiling the actual kernel from the ptx file that is delivered. It may take a few moments, but eventually should start working again. Not sure why it would hang though. It worked on my machine, and I know it also works for @BrianJ

Did you try again after the kill?

OK, so I actually got it working. I forgot about the compiling… and I guess I’m just impatient :grimacing:
Thanks!
-Jakob

Yay, a third machine I now know it works on :slight_smile:

1 Like

FWIW, I am working on updating our Cycles core code to include 330 commits from upstream, containing a huge amount of fixes and improvements also to the OptiX support.

1 Like

I did, happy with what I found there. Thanks! :slight_smile:

The very first thing I tried after switching ot Optix was raytraced output in a viewport. Rhino froze and offered to either wait or to switch to another task. I left it like that and when got back 30 mins later, it was still in this mode. This time “Retry” resulted in a crash. I sent out the report.

Now it works, both in Rendering window and raytraced viewport. I do not see any significant performance improvement, but my model is fairly simple. I have not noticed and explicit compiling message of any kind when switched to Optix, but I do see slight differences in output on overlapping surfaces when switching between Optix and CUDA. That I guess is an indication that switching between these modes works.

Thanks again. Will explore it further…

A scene with lots of objects, many lights, and lots of reflection (metals) and transmission (glass, gem) and emission will see faster rendering.

I’ll upload an ugly testing file you can use to time differences with.

It does seem scene dependent whether Optix is faster than Cuda. I’m also finding that on very large renders, I need to use the Intel Denoiser instead of Nvidia due to the RTX 2080 I’m using not having enough VRAM I think for 600pdi poster size renders.