RhPicture extension not working in V6

Hi Dale,
Sorry, I only see the status changes on YT on this one, no comments. So I thought you just don’t want anything to do with it : )
Thanks for taking a look, let me try this and get back to you, probably with some more questions and an explanation.

But first, what are the implications of running Rhino 8 in .NET framework mode?
(any wiki page for forum thread to look at? Quick seach did not give me much)

–jarek

I see the status change to “Public View: Permitted” on YT but still dont see any comments other than mine, FYI

@Jarek - there’s this:

– D

1 Like

Hi @dale, thanks again for this! A couple of things:

Based on the article, I ran the “Compat.exe” check on RhPicture, the result is this:
(I don’t know how to interpret it, but I get the same result when I test other plugins that work fine in V8)

I tried running Rhino in .NET Framework mode and in that mode the test script you provided exectutes OK and all works fine.
Interestingly, when I run Rhino in standard .NET Core, it also works.

The problem I ran into with my plugins, is the way the code accessed the RhPicture Plugin Object. I have this:

Function RhPicturePresent() 'verifies if RhPicture plugin is installed
	RhPicturePresent = False
	Dim i,arrPlugins : arrPlugins = Rhino.PlugIns(16, 0)
	If isnull(arrPlugins) Then Exit Function

For i=0 To Ubound(arrPlugins)
		If arrPlugins(i) = "RhPicture" Then
			RhPicturePresent = True
			Exit Function
		End If
	Next 
End Function

Basically looking for the plugin by its name, which worked fine in the past versions of Rhino.
Now in V8 it still works, if I reference the plugin by its GUID like you did:
RhPicture = "ee942655-a720-4b9b-844b-de4427f6fe0a"

So at this point all seems to be manageable, still, the only “problem” is that RhPicutre, even if installed in Rhino 8, does not show up on Rhino Plugins list. I wonder if that is something that potentially could be addressed in V8 and beyond.

Another question:

Now that it works in .NET Core, is there a chance it will continue working beyond Rhino 8?
I completely agree and I would prefer to use more up-to-date tool but keeping it alive is to keep larger tools written in RhinoScript usable, rewriting all of them would be years of work. For new tools written in Python I know there are other options available to handle image processing.
If one was to write a more up-to-date RhinoScript Plugin Object that would give RhinoScript access to the same image processing functionalities as RhPicture did, how would you approach this?

Thanks again for your help Dale, the sample code referencing the plugin GUID kind-of solves it for now.

–jarek