Rhinoceros replacing AutoCAD

Something I noticed when opening big files done in Autocad, is that it slows down the performance significantly. To be clear especially Zooming in/out gets painful as well opening layouts done in Autocad.

What is your experience with that?

Extremely painful. We also open files done in AutoCad (very large sometimes) and the performance is incredibly slow. Also the layouts done in AutoCad are not displayed correctly. The paper size is reduced to default!

Started with Autocad 10. A real pain with a 286 and DOS. Went to FastCad. Still use it with Rhino. Has been able to insert pictures for years ahead of others. Michael Riddle is still the inventor of cad and his programming is real genius. Autodesk has been marketed and sold with a rep in the hallway of every University and is oversold with upgrades based for profit. Rhino is still my favorite for 2d and 3d work and FastCad is still useful after almost 30 years.

Any one else having issues with large dwg files and that opening them slows down Rhino like hell?

1 Like

Yeah, i had that issue with RH5.
Purge, SelDup, Delete, Purge again , switch off some layers. That was my method to handle it.

1 Like

For me the issues are always Hatchesā€¦

Thx, Iā€™ll try that.

From my experience the TEXT is the killer. Hatches are fine.

We use Rhino for all 2d drawings and 2d cnc files since 2008, stopped using ACAD and Megacad. Often itĀ“s much faster to make a simple 3d, then make2d and do the rest in 2d. We have a standard template with our own layouts (and hatches, linestyles, layers ) for all DIN sizes. On the first layout we change the values in the title block according to the project, we than make copies of this layout and only have to modify the drawing number and description field on the other layouts. Imported dwgĀ“s are sometimes slow depending on file size. Problem seem to be hatchesā€¦ I just hide ( or switch of layers ) everything I donĀ“t need. Or I just copy paste into a new file with our own template. There are some things missing compared to Acad, but on the other hand the are so many things just working so much faster and better that we never looked backā€¦ 2d cnc files are depending a lot to export settingsā€¦ we check all exported dxf/dwg for lasercutting with LT 2000 or draftsight, but thats the only reason to keep these programs.

We go on and on trying to replace Autocad in architectural planning and furniture production. It begins to start working better and better. Especially since Layout function is included in Rhino mac, very often we can do everything in Rhino directly. Like this it is faster and cheaper.

Pascal posted a Python script for this if youā€™re intersted, although yes, it would also be nice if it could be done natively

Can you show me where this Python script is? Sorry to ask, but I couldnā€™t find it.

1 Like

How do you handle linetypescale when drafiting? In Autocad I am able to set a linetypescale for each individual curve if needed (with the same linetype).
Do you create a whole bunch of linetypes wtih the same appearance but different scales?

Yes, indeed. I do it like this. But I agree that in AutoCAD that is more convenient. Can someone from McNeel please answer that question??

1 Like

Let me see if I understand the questionā€¦

• You have a model with curves with assigned line types.
  • You have one or more layouts with details in different scales.
  • The curves with the same line type in the model space have different spacings/lengths patterns in those details.

Does that describe the problem that you are having or am I making things up?

In my case I draft a floorplan for example and some details in modelspace. The floorplan contains curves with the hidden linetype with a scale of 100 and 200 for example. The details contain curves with the same hidden linetype and scales of 2 and 10.

And ofcourse I want a layout of the floorplan 1:100 and a layout with the details 1:5. I usually draft in WYSIWYG way.

So I need the same hidden linetype in multiple scales. The same goes for centerlines and other linetypes.

1 Dear Mcneel, I have another question:
How should I work if I want that my linetype (dashed or so) looks exactly the same in the Top View and in the Layout, independent from the scale of the detail?

Wouldnā€™t it also be very useful if you could change the linetype scale of a single line/curve also in the properties - exactly like you are able to change print width and color?

Exactly, something like linetype model/layout scaling would be very handy I guess. I think this wish was asked some time agoā€¦

1 Like

This is the way I work in AutoCAD with linetypescales and the settings for MSLTSCALE and PSLTSCALE.
The picture shows the setting for the linetypescale in the properties panel.

The pdf is at scale 1:50

Drawing2-Layout1.pdf (8.6 KB)

(edit: I use Windows btw, so I am hoping that this will also be added for the Windows version)

Exactly. This is what would be very handy for us too!

1 Like