Rhinoceros replacing AutoCAD

Could you be a little more specific? What do you have to touch up? Which problems? Would be interesting to read your opinion.

I ALSO use BricsCAD and find it as SEAMLESS as a work-alike can possibly BE. Visually its almost IDENTICAL to Autocad, BOTH Interfaces ! At 1/10 the price and CLASSIC Licensing, its really hard to beat. I DONā€™T use dynamic blocks YET, but would LOVE to discover that B-C does Dynamic blocks ! Anyway, Good luck and post back with progress, etc. !
Tks -
-C.

IĀ“m really interested in how you managed to solve the lack of ā€œattributesā€ in rhino in your title blocks. There are several discussions in the forum, but IĀ“m afraid McNeel hasnĀ“t faced/understood the problem/feature we want yetā€¦

That this is missing in Rhino is a real shame. It would be so much easier and faster to work with 10 different layouts at the same time and to change the title blocks fast and easy.

1 Like

Dynamic blocks is a killer feauture if you use it in the right way. That is the reaon why I am so insisting in the point that they implement that into Rhino.

In my opinion McNeel should really try to understand that 2d documentation is yes the most boring part of the whole design process, but crucial for getting building permissions and create drawings for production.

So the better that works the easier it is for many people to design and manufacture.

2 Likes

Totally agree that 2D documentation is a necessity, Iā€™m an architect too, but donā€™t forget that rhino is a 3D software and IMO what McNeel should improve is the conversion from 3D objects to 2D representation, not ā€˜wastingā€™ time developing hacks like dynamics block that only work in 2D and for drafting purposes. It has to be a tool that makes sense within Rhinoā€™s environment, and that every user will take benefit from, every kind of designer.

4 Likes

I normally donā€™t make a block of my ā€œtitle blocksā€ but I just tried to see if that would make this impossible. I have entries for project, description, date, revision, etc. and when I update these in my Document User Text panel, everything is updated across all sheets. What am I missing?

2 Likes

I am an architect. I used Autocad for 10 years before I found Rhino. I was looking for the ability to do 3D, but still needed to produce 2D drawings typical of an architects office. I found Rhino, tried it and loved it, I have never looked back. The software alone is enough to justify a complete transition to 100% rhino. However, trading parent companies was also an important reason. Trading the 800 pound evil profiteer AutoDesk for the more cooperative and friendly support of McNeel is the best reason to change from Autocad to Rhino. If your question is more technical in natureā€¦in 2D Rhino can do everything Autocad can do and much much moreā€¦in 3D Rhino leaves Autocad in the dust. If you roll in the potential of Grasshopper, its hard to believe autocad will be around much longer.

7 Likes

Dearest @wim we both have talked about this in several posts and IĀ“m still lost.
Could you pleeeease share briefly how on earth we can do this? I guess with time I could discover it myself, but IĀ“ve been swamped for months now and would really like to know how to tackle this item.

@wim Iā€™d like to know how to do this too, I turn a lot of my 3d into 2d, and have at least 3 layout pages per model, which have a title block which contains text/notes. Sometimes part of the development process involves changing the text, it becomes tedious having to change each layout page :frowning:

1 Like

Could anyone please explain how this UserText thing works?

1 Like

I apologize for getting into this ā€œRhino for Macā€ category - what I refer to is done in Rhino 6. I just posted a new topic here:

2 Likes

I am not an architect, nor a solid modeler ā€¦ I began using UserText one month ago to transition from 3d (for that Low Table - Grasshopper) to 2d to then 2d drawing for laser cutting and labelling. For that I used Elefront that augment the usability of UserText.

You have some good ressources of the power of the approach here

For example I used it to put a name to all elements of a same piece (cutting, rivet hole, hole number, piece number) and then it enable me to generate all dxf with one click.

2 Likes

Does it work well on Rhino Mac?

I switched to rhino a week ago as my primary design tool,(Thanks to all the hardwork placed in putting Rhino 6 together).

I think for documentation or production, I donā€™t think Rhino is the most efficient solution.

Hi tay.0

1. Have you switched to Rhino 6? I ask this because this is the Rhino Mac forum and we expect to find solutions for Mac.
    2)The information put in these terms is of little use to the users (or it is not for nothing), Which are the problems with Rhino? Whatā€™s inefficient ?, what can be improved?.
    Thank you

-Simon

Hello @Zsimon and all.

Although Iā€™m new to Rhino, I think AutoCAD for document production can be superior through below
1- Customizing Standards to meet the firms consistency, we make user profiles or workspaces to streamline our different workflows.
2- Annotative dimensions, Blocks, and other annotation tools
3- Plotting / Printing control over layers and plot styles.
4- Layer Translators and the Ability to Standardize the layering system to match whatever styles required.
5- Attributes, Revision Management, stuffā€¦etc.

What Rhino is Superior to AutoCAD
1- Works, Crashes less and very reliable development team and community.
2- Make2D , (AutoCADā€™s flatshot and flatten commands are a joke)

I personally think that AutoCAD as a drafting tool is still the industry standard and slowly becoming obsolete with the Rise of BIM for document management. Iā€™m currently using Rhino for my own design conceptualization and I use Revit to do construction documents, also by observing the latest trends in AU2017, it is mostly pushing for Cloud BIM360 which makes me suspect the future of AutoCAD as a future-proof investment.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation.

-Simon

What do you mean? IĀ“m really curious.

For me was the interoperability with ArchiCAD, that convince me to look seriously on a workflow with Rhino, and the fact that cycles and blender are now in, they pretty much got me.