Rhinoceros replacing AutoCAD

Exploding blocks also helps…
Rhino is not Acad, but importing the things you need via exporting from Draftsight and doing huge 2d plans in RH works just fine, or even better.

The OneDrive link worked. As far as I can see the bottleneck is the 76 844 block instances. @stevebaer will know better where the limitations are for block instance drawing.

If you need to work with this, but don’t care about block instances you could as a short term workaround: in a new document that shows only top view import the dwg. Then _SelBlockInstance followed by _ExplodeBlock. That should make the drawing much more responsive. Obviously the downside is missing out on all the blocks :confused:

Thank you, Nathan! I’m doing exactly this at the moment. Takes a looong time though…
Selection, viewport response… all quite slow.

1 Like

Wouln’t it be great to be able to type the command “hatch” and then to draw it directly as a polygon? Like you do it in ArchiCAD. Now you always have to draw the boundary first, then select the boundary, hach and finally delete the boundary.

4 Likes

Dynamic blocks have been in Autocad for years, which is why there’s such a high degree of support for them by various 3rd party’s (furniture MFG’s, parts MFG’s etc).

The abilities of dynamic blocks typically used by us is to have a single block we can drop in any view and use a drop down menu to change from front / side / top orientation which swaps out what artwork is visible. We also use them for parts that have adjustable mount points (good example would be LCD mounts) so we can drop in a 3rd party mount we’ve cooked a block for (and there’s literally hundreds of them) and show the attachment to the display as well as it’s attachment to the wall in question.

In some cases where there’s multiple variants of a part by sub assembly the visibility states and definable center point allow a single block to represent a sub family of parts.

As I mentioned earlier, the authoring of them is really klunky. It’s a really horrid interface and as decidedly non intuitive as you can get, but the utility value of the blocks once authored is killer. Rhino’s blocks are pretty elementary in comparison, and I for the most part don’t even really use them except for Title Block components, which is a shame, because if RHino’s blocks were a bit more fleshed out they’d have great utility value.

4 Likes

Xrefs most important tool for large projects. Inserting blocks not as powerful

3 Likes

Hello,

I am structural engineer and drawing 2D construction documents with Rhino (because I like it more than Autocad). Though, as Autocad is still widely used I need to export my plans from Rhino to Autocad.

I am facing the following problems:

• 1 - I found no way to export Rhino layout into DWG layouts (layouts are lost during transfer from 3dm to DWG)
  • 2 - Leaders, texts and dimensions’ size change a lot, and not in the same way if they are in blocks or if they have been mirrored or scaled.

I don’t see any solution for problem 1.

For problem 2, I tried the following.
I now do the annotations into modelspace. For this, I need to set a modelspace scale (100 or 50 in general, sometimes 10 or 5). Otherwise I don’t get the right size in paperspace. But Autocad does not know this “modelspace scale” so the eported DWG does not have the right text size.

Would it be able to add a “text scale setting” in the layout viewport properties ? It would be much easier to print !

3 Likes

Lack of DWG export for layouts makes them currently useless to me. I am not drawing for myself, I need to send files to vendors who will often use Autocad to open the files and then program manufacturing equipment like CNC routers and lasers . My ideal workflow would be to model in 3D then export to 2D for generating the drawings. But dimensioning from Make2D is often a nightmare and even then unless I keep the drawings in “model space” they become unavailable for DWG export. So after my 3D model is done I still end up manually drawing a lot of 2D using cutplanes and flattening and rebuilding duplicated modeling curves etc, then tucking things away on separate layers. Layer states have been helpful but I hope Rhino will be able handle a 3d to 2d workflow more smoothly soon. For now I just export 3d to IGS and supplement with labor intensive 2d.

1 Like

Hi! I could not believe this, and did a quick test - works! (Would be not cool if it wouldn’t)
Rhino Layout:

Saved as DWG, opened in ACAD:

This 3D->2D workflow is indeed lacking. For what it’s worth, the VisualArq programmers announced a DWG export option from Layouts for version 3, due next year.
Best regards
Eugen

My bad for not checking again before posting. Layouts show up in Autocad now.
I’ll check with some suppliers in the morning to confirm they can see the layouts too.

Allright, I did not thought about using “Save As” instead of export commands… my bad. Now it work great !

1 Like

Now my big trouble is draw order, already documented in this topic:

Any clue how to monitor draw or printing order ? In this way Autocad is much better I must say

1 Like

I was now for 10 minutes testing the new 8.0.21138.12306 Work in Progress (mac version). Still struggling with performance. It is just slow and laggy, as 6&7. When shall we see performance improvements?

my RH8 is unfortunately currently not working, but did you activate TestMetal?
Otherwise I think it is still early in development…

Thank you very much!! I had just 5min to test this command quickly, but “testmetal” seems to improve the performance significantly!! I hope they are keeping an eye on this, because fast performance is essential when working on technical documents.

Sure thing! Can you share some frame rate comparison with TestMaxSpeed with TestMetal turned on and off?

The new version of Rhino mac Version 7 (7.8.21196.05002, 2021-07-15) is now finally way smoother in drawing in 2d and feels much faster.

It also opens AutoCAD dwg files and you actually are able to work on them (because of the display speed)

This is such a relief! Thanks McNeel for you to have kept making this product better!

3 Likes

RH-2174 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Despite many of the complaints and feedbacks we provide on this forum, I got the chance to work on an AutoCAD project after many years and this makes me appreciate the hard-working developers from Mcneel solving issues in Realtime :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The only thing which I wish so dearly is that Rhino mac in future will be able to handle large drawings with curves and blocks faster