Rhino license for a particular email

Hi
I want to purchase a Rhino 7 license, but right now I’m using a different email from which i want the license for. If i buy this license using a different email from that that i’m using right now, will my previous work be saved? And if no, is it possible to later change the email for already purchased license?

First, you can no longer buy a Rhino V7 license - V8 is now shipping. It is possible to get a free “legacy” V7 license if you buy a full new V8 license.

Next, the e-mail with which you order a Rhino license doesn’t matter. What matters is the e-mail used to validate the license when you install it.

If the license is an upgrade over a previous version, the e-mails used to validate both need to match.

If you have a Rhino account you can install the license and it is automatically validated with the main e-mail used for that account. If you choose to install the license locally, then you will have to choose an e-mail to validate it with.

It is always possible at a later date to change the validation e-mail. Only McNeel can do this, you can contact them at sales@mcneel.com for this and any licensing questions you might have.

Within mcneel.com’s My Account, the add/edit email options don’t handle that?

In theory, yes. However, for example today, I got an email from a client who recently bought a V8 upgrade who said they were unable to get the upgrade key into the account. It looks like they changed the e-mail address associated with the account between the time they installed the V7 and now, but the V7 license in the account has retained the old address as the validation e-mail - so he’s getting an e-mails don’t match message, which theoretically shouldn’t happen. This is certainly an edge case, for the most part the system works pretty well, but we have seen some bugs getting it adapted to V8.

Edit - I probably shouldn’t have said “only”. Generally I have to ask McNeel change the license validation e-mails for clients who have licenses installed locally and have changed e-mails between upgrades. There’s no mechanism that the user can actually do this themselves. People with Rhino accounts can change the account e-mails themselves, but it looks like from the above that this doesn’t always change the license validations in the account. Waiting for confirmation on that.

Yeah, i meant rhino 8. thanks!

But still, will the projects I’m currently working on be saved?

The Cloud Zoo is just for licensing, it’s not a storage solution, what are you concerned about?

I’m starting to think @Polina has had a Rhino session open with data to save since starting the thread.

A running copy of Rhino noticed when I yanked a license from a user a few weeks ago (testing for plugins); I don’t know if getting a license is noticed as quickly or if you’re stuck with the “read only” state Rhino opened up in.